Two fast quail questions

cupman

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Portland, OR
I am looking to get quail started early next year and I've got a pretty good understanding on what I want to do. I will be doing quail mainly for meat, but eggs and pets too.

1) I have heard mixing breeds can be disastrous and this is probably a silly question but is it okay to raise jumbo A&M white coturnix with jumbo pharaoh coturnix? Any down side to this?

2) How have hatch rates and success on jumbo coturnix quail been for you?

I just bought a genesis 1588 and quail rails. It's pretty straight forward and all I have to do is put a little water in the reservoir and plug it in. I have never hatched eggs before and this was marketed as a simple incubator that was great for first timers. I was looking at a website that sells in groups of 12, 18, 24 and 50. I was thinking of getting 24 jumbo white and 24 jumbo brown... is it inevitable that some won't hatch? If I wanted 45-50 quail do you think I should order some extras? Thanks.

I can only respond to question 1 as I haven't hatched any eggs yet myself. Pharoah and A&M White are just two colors of Coturnix quail - same species. So - no problem there. I did post once asking about Bobwhites with Coturnix and got a resounding NO from the pros at large here.
smile.png

Hope this helps-

Last edited:
1. You can raise different VARIETIES of color together as they aren't breeds but color varieties of the same breed COTURNIX
smile.png

2. Hatch rates depends on many factors. Shipped eggs is a gamble so don't expect all eggs to hatch.

Cool thank you both very much. It was actually your website I was reading, quaillady, and you will probably be hearing from me early next Spring!

Last edited:
If you want 50 hatched out. I would set at least 100. Due to shipping handling and this being your first incubator.

If you get a few extra then that is all the more good!!

Back
Top Bottom