Two hens missing feathers on back wont grow back

HatCo

Chirping
Feb 17, 2022
Bush La
First time chicken mama in South La (not far from Nola/Ms line).
Two of my hens (I have 16 hens and two roos) are missing feathers from their back. One, Bella, has been missing them for over a month (silver & amber easter egger) and another, Big Mama, (large orpington) just started to loose the feathers there (and she has a spot on her neck below her crown).
I had a predator attack happen right as Bella lost her feathers and the chicken that lost feathers during the attack regrew hers, Bella has not. Idk if I have one hen attacking others or a roo... im not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_8254.jpg
    IMG_8254.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8255.jpg
    IMG_8255.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20230415_101050_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230415_101050_Gallery.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20230415_101106_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230415_101106_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
This looks an awful lot like feather loss from rooster treading during mating (balances on the back, holding onto their heads with his beak). You can buy (or make) saddles to protect their bare skin while you wait for regrowth. I honestly don't know the timeline for new feathers to come in, but I'm expecting mine to recover as mating season eases up in the fall and their regular molt period arrives.

It looks like rooster damage to me. She may be more submissive and she's getting more attention from him because of it. The spot on the back of the head below the comb is from him hanging on with his beak when he mounts her. The feathers may not grow back until she molts. You can use a chicken saddle/apron to help protect her back, you can buy them or make your own.
http://www.hensaver.com/
10 hens to each rooster is a good average number, some roosters do fine with less, some may need a couple more, it just depends on your birds.

This looks an awful lot like feather loss from rooster treading during mating (balances on the back, holding onto their heads with his beak). You can buy (or make) saddles to protect their bare skin while you wait for regrowth. I honestly don't know the timeline for new feathers to come in, but I'm expecting mine to recover as mating season eases up in the fall and their regular molt period arrives.
Thank you so much.
If one roo is mounting a hen the other roo runs and mounts her at the same time.
Is that normal?
Should I rehome one of the roos?

Thank you so much.
If one roo is mounting a hen the other roo runs and mounts her at the same time.
Is that normal?
Should I rehome one of the roos?
Normal? I think so, the boys are definitely trying to one-up the other due to competitiveness. But it does create extra stress for your hens. If they are knocking one another off in the act, it increases the chances injury to the hen. Broken feathers, accidental scratches, or even lacerations become more likely. None of that is fun for the girls.

If your roosters are young and you aren't planning a breeding program where you need perfect fertility (or the genetics of both roosters), rehoming one might well improve day to day life for your girls while keeping fertility at good levels. Feather loss can still happen, especially if you have a very submissive hen or two, but your main rooster won't be competing nearly as hard and things should calm down a good bit.

Back
Top Bottom