Two questions about showing.

henpeckedmuch

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
I have three hens and a rooster I want to show next month. They are mating heavil and I'm worried about their feather condition
#1 Should I leave them together in their run until I'm read to show them or separate them?

#2 For the purposes of showing, When is a rooster considered a cock v/s a cockeral, and a hen a hen rather than a pullet?

I have three hens and a rooster I want to show next month. They are mating heavil and I'm worried about their feather condition
#1 Should I leave them together in their run until I'm read to show them or separate them?

#2 For the purposes of showing, When is a rooster considered a cock v/s a cockeral, and a hen a hen rather than a pullet?
Q -

A -
They should be separated

Q -

A -
Cock: Male over 1 year of age

Hen: Female over 1 year of age.
Cockerel: Male under 1 year of age.
Pullet: Female under 1 year of age.

Chris

Last edited:
You should separate the rooster from the hens at least, I would think the hens would be alright together. That is, of course, if they are already coop/cage trained. If they aren't, they need to be separated and trained.

I put each bird in their own cage. Get them used to being pick up and brought out of the cage. Tame them down as good as you can. Trim nails and beaks if needed. If the roo's spurs are long you could touch them up also. They will need a bath about a week before a show. I use Ivory soap and a quick rinse with a vinegar and water solution. There are quite a few videos on Utube that are very helpful on bathing chickens.

Back
Top Bottom