Two Runs Design Questions

Fyremelody

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 22, 2014
Missouri
Hi all! I've been a silent reader for the last year or so and decided to come out of hiding and join in on the fun actively. Pardon the length on this as I'm trying to provide as much detail as possible.

COOP 1:

Last year, I refurbished an old falling down shed that was fairly original to my property (square nails anyone?). We basically took it apart, put in a new floor, salvaged two walls, rebuilt and re-sided with original boards the other two, added new roof. The size of it is 12 L x 10 w. Below is mid-process of re-hanging the old boards. (I can't seem to locate the finished pictures). It is two cinder block's height off the ground with the siding covering the area the chickens would have access to. There are also three windows that aren't clear in this pic: right side, left side, and one above the ramp door. This coop is only for my standard-size chickens.

Winter came and I didn't get the run finished, so that's the project right now. And of course, I have some questions:

I want to make the run high enough that both windows will be included in it. That makes the run 10' high. Width will match the coop's dimension on the front - 12' and will extend to 10'. It's well shaded by a large tree. My plan was to secure the run to the shed via screws so it's as snug as can be with the face of the coop.

Q1. Given that, and that there's nothing that can interfere with the run, save for natural disaster (storm) is it necessary to set posts? I'd like to avoid digging into massive tree roots if at all possible, but so many people mention setting posts in concrete.

Q2. Birds will come in nightly and when they are out, all doors and two windows will be open -- the screened window is permanently screened and now has shutters and doesn't "open". Is it necessary to provide a solid roof, or partial roof, on the run...and why, if so? My thought is if they aren't happy wet in an unexpected rain-shower, they would take themselves inside.

Q3. I wanted to build the run walls like walls to a house -- frame them down, stand them up. It's occurred to me though, that may not be the best / easiest / less wasteful way to get the mesh on the run. How do you all do it? Erect the frame then wrap the meshing around? How on earth do you pull it tight, if so? I'm 5'3" and pulling wire that's 10' tall would be, ah, challenging!

COOP 2:

I bought a bunch of bantam chicks that will be going outside in the next few weeks. It was cheaper to buy a coop with an attached run than build my own (and knowing how long it takes to get anything done here, more time-effective). The coop itself is raised and already has hardware cloth around the opening beneath it. But it sits on a thin wooden frame with no enclosed bottom for the coop or run. It is 112"L x 39"W x 41"H

Q1: Given I don't know if this pre-fab thing is made from treated wood or not (I think its cedar), would it be wise to set the entire thing on some treated posts laid flat against the earth -- like rails? And if so, I'd then secure more wire to those posts to have a buried barrier?

Q2: This is nowhere near as heavy as the larger coop. Is there anything I can do to better secure it in the ground? I'm in tornado alley and our fall/spring storms frequently have seriously strong winds. While it faces the SW, and sideways winds wouldn't often hit it, I'd still hate for the little ones to have their home topple sideways.

Q3: The picture is a bit misleading with some illusions; the proportions of coop floor to the ground aren't actually quite as severe as it looks. Still it's a bit of a hike -- the bottom is approximately 20 inches off the ground. For silkies to easily get in and out, would I be better served by adding more onto the ramp (only room enough to turn it into an "L" shape) and perhaps raise it with a brick?

Okie dokie -- more questions might arise, but I look forward to your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Claire

Last edited:
Hopefully I can answer your questions.

Coop 1
Posts are nice, but not necessary. You can do the framing with 2 X 4s attached together using bolts and washers and it will be more than sturdy enough unless it gets hit by a tornado, in which case the posts won't help either.
A roof is a good idea as it is amazing how fast a chicken run can turn into a mud flat from rain. However, if you do not elect to put a roof over the run, then I would cover the ground with a layer of fine pea gravel.
As for the framework, you can wrap 1/2 inch hardward cloth around it, pulling the hardware cloth hand tight and securing it as you come to each 2 X 4 and it should be tight enough. Just make sure the hardware cloth is well secured the entire length of the 2 X 4. 1/2 hardward cloth will insure that no predators can squeeze in through the holes in the mesh. I would also put 1/2 inch hardward cloth on the bottom of the run to protect your chickens from digging predators. You can then cover the hardware cloth bottom of the run with dirt (if you have a roof) or fine pea gravel.

Coop 2
You only need treated posts if termites are a problem in your area. Contrary to common belief, treating the wood does not make it any more rot resistant to moisture than not treating it.
For securing it to the ground, you could always use groundbolt anchors (see http://www.groundbolt.co.uk/Sheds.html), although again, if a tornado hits it, the coop will likely not survive anyway.
As for the ramp in your picture, I have raised Black Silkies and can assure you that your Silkies will have no problems getting up and down your ramp.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom