Two seemingly healthy roosters dead within two days of eachother

Amy HUNTERTON

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2017
Ive had two roosters die this week. They were two very healthy looking roosters at that. The first one I thought was trampled but the second one was definitely not. I have no idea what is going on or even what to look for. This can't be a coincidence. Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be happening? I know im not giving much to go on.

Ive had two roosters die this week. They were two very healthy looking roosters at that. The first one I thought was trampled but the second one was definitely not. I have no idea what is going on or even what to look for. This can't be a coincidence. Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be happening? I know im not giving much to go on.

Sounds like you have a lunatic going in your yard and aggressively killing them.

How HORRIBLE!! Like @EggSighted4Life I'm going to ask for more info. Where are you, what sort of run security (if any) do you have in place, does your flock free range, how close are you to neighbors and do they like you, and can you post any photos? (With photos, give readers AMPLE heads-up that if they scroll down they're going to see very graphic images!) Photos of the crime scene and its context can be helpful so we can see feather loss, etc. But if you don't have that, you can go back and take a photo now and describe what you found.

How HORRIBLE!! Like @EggSighted4Life I'm going to ask for more info. Where are you, what sort of run security (if any) do you have in place, does your flock free range, how close are you to neighbors and do they like you, and can you post any photos? (With photos, give readers AMPLE heads-up that if they scroll down they're going to see very graphic images!) Photos of the crime scene and its context can be helpful so we can see feather loss, etc. But if you don't have that, you can go back and take a photo now and describe what you found.

‘Rooster looked like it was trampled on’ sounds like a crazy neighbor to me

Chickens have a habit where if an individual looks weak, they try to kill it. Even day old chicks will do this. They trample it and stand on it, as if trying to crush it to death.
I wouldn't say a crazy neighbor killed it... that's a bit far fetched right now, we should have more information before making accusations.

Look for weird poops, or weird acting chickens. Is anyone sneezing? Are they thin at all? Has the weather been bad or extreme? (Super hot, super cold, super wet, super dry, etc)

I live in NJ. I have a fully fenced back yard and really no neighbors. My chickens do free range during the day. The only reason i thought the first rooster was trampled by the other birds was because he was at the bottom of the ramp of the coop and his wings were kind of spread out. He was still alive but barely breathing. I brought him inside and inspected him and tried to make him as comfortable as possible. The second rooster was in the coop with one of the hens who was laying an egg. I inspected him also and he had no marking on him at all. Maybe I should dump their food? I recently bought two new bags.

Back
Top Bottom