UGH Egg exploded in the incubator!

SpinningJenny

Chirping
Apr 6, 2016
On Tuesday I set eggs for my son's class. Last night, one of them burst in the incubator. Ay ay ay. What a stink! The poor parents dropping off their kids! Haha, it was not good. After an initial wash out this morning, I gave the Incubator a good bleaching this afternoon. I didn't want to have the eggs out for long or be a disruption to the class during their morning meeting so I figured that would be the best way to go about it and now it's disinfected and back up to temp and not so stinky.

I smelled all other eggs, and well, they all kind of stink a bit from the burst one. I brought the worst smelling egg home and egg-topsied it just to be safe that it too wasn't rotten, and it looked fine and fertile, white blastoderm but no development, and actually the contents didn't stink INSIDE, so bummer, it was a probably a fine egg.

But what concerns me is, I'm used to seeing SOME development after 24 hours in the incubator... And I'm not seeing anything when I candle this brood. Did the stink bomb egg kill them all overnight? Or am I just being a nervous nellie and should wait a few more days to see veins etc.? I also noticed that quiet a few of them have very porous shells. So I'm worried. Has anyone else had an exploder and lost a whole hatch? I wanted this to be fun for the kids, and I'm bummed that it might have ruined the whole project on the first day! :hit

On Tuesday I set eggs for my son's class. Last night, one of them burst in the incubator. Ay ay ay. What a stink! The poor parents dropping off their kids! Haha, it was not good. After an initial wash out this morning, I gave the Incubator a good bleaching this afternoon. I didn't want to have the eggs out for long or be a disruption to the class during their morning meeting so I figured that would be the best way to go about it and now it's disinfected and back up to temp and not so stinky.

I smelled all other eggs, and well, they all kind of stink a bit from the burst one. I brought the worst smelling egg home and egg-topsied it just to be safe that it too wasn't rotten, and it looked fine and fertile, white blastoderm but no development, and actually the contents didn't stink INSIDE, so bummer, it was a probably a fine egg.

But what concerns me is, I'm used to seeing SOME development after 24 hours in the incubator... And I'm not seeing anything when I candle this brood. Did the stink bomb egg kill them all overnight? Or am I just being a nervous nellie and should wait a few more days to see veins etc.? I also noticed that quiet a few of them have very porous shells. So I'm worried. Has anyone else had an exploder and lost a whole hatch? I wanted this to be fun for the kids, and I'm bummed that it might have ruined the whole project on the first day! :hit
If the rotten egg goo gets onto the other eggs it can hurt them.

There is not much to see for the first 3 days. After three days you are more likely to see development in white eggs.

this is an example:

candling.jpg

If the rotten egg goo gets onto the other eggs it can hurt them.

There is not much to see for the first 3 days. After three days you are more likely to see development in white eggs.

this is an example:

View attachment 1324839

Right, I'm going to just have to wait and see. I can see some air cells developing so that's good! I'm just dreading blood rings tomorrow morning. Cross your fingers!

Right, I'm going to just have to wait and see. I can see some air cells developing so that's good! I'm just dreading blood rings tomorrow morning. Cross your fingers!
There wont be blood rings tomorrow. The embryos need to develop to day 7 or ten for them to die and go into a blood ring.

Watch out for more seeping eggs! Were the eggs shipped? Usually it is shipped eggs that go bad but not usually on day 1 or 2

24 hrs. is really soon to be seeing anything. Sorry about your exploder. This is a phenomenon that I find fascinating! Was the egg more than 7 days old before being put in the bator? How had it been stored?

The porous eggs are the ones I would watch closest. Bacteria from the exploder will not be friendly to these. In fact, as you are just in the very first days of incubation, I would do a hydrogen peroxide spray on all the remaining eggs. I spray my eggs before every incubation now and it does its job. IMHO.

24 hrs. is really soon to be seeing anything. Sorry about your exploder. This is a phenomenon that I find fascinating! Was the egg more than 7 days old before being put in the bator? How had it been stored?

The porous eggs are the ones I would watch closest. Bacteria from the exploder will not be friendly to these. In fact, as you are just in the very first days of incubation, I would do a hydrogen peroxide spray on all the remaining eggs. I spray my eggs before every incubation now and it does its job. IMHO.
:goodpost:

So many think that washing the eggs is bad for the hatch. I wash them too and they hatch just fine

Tell me more about that spray. I bleached the incubator. Will peroxide foaming force bacteria into the pores?

The eggs were 3-7 days old. I suspect the exploder must've had a hairline crack, it was laid on 3/31 and put to incubate 4/2 at 10am. It exploded at about 6 pm. Not shipped just from a friend's flock, but they were clean, unwashed, and kept in cartons and tipped a few times a day. I've hatched her eggs before with a lot of success.

Tell me more about that spray. I bleached the incubator. Will peroxide foaming force bacteria into the pores?
No, the foaming action indicates that it is killing germs/bacteria on the surface of the egg. Some of my sprayed eggs foam in places and others not at all. I have HP in a spray bottle right in my hatching/emergency chicken kit. Highly recommend.

:goodpost:

So many think that washing the eggs is bad for the hatch. I wash them too and they hatch just fine
How do you wash them? I had to wipe a few with a paper towel, but I'm wondering if the peroxide spray is a good idea now? THey will be 48 hours in the incubator tomorrow at 10am. Still safe to do something like that?

Back
Top Bottom