Ugh Sexing Guineas

Lacey1988

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Mississippi
Don't you wish they were easy like chickens to sex? ha. I do believe I have a pair I'm not sure one makes that buck-wheat sound all the time and I do mean ALL THE TIME(especially when someone walks to the pen)
The other one however is mostly quiet only making little whistling noises and chirps. I've only heard it get loud once and that's when they first seen our big dog. The sound was horrible. lol

When they were younger- the one with alot of white on it is the buckwheater the other ones feathers go almost all the way up its neck and fan out a bit into a collar like thing.

I have 17 guineas and I love the ugly birds! But, I have no idea how to tell them apart as far as male and females. Some birds have larger waddles than other birds. They are five months old. There is only one at a time that does that constant buckwheat. Will females buckwheat constantly only one at a time? Are there any other distinguishing traits or visually from telling the sexes apart? When do guineas lay? Are they constant year round or just seasonally ?

Back
Top Bottom