Ugh! Stupid young rooster...

Great idea!! I use a plant sprayer on my cats - works like a charm. Now I'll make it a multi-animal sprayer.
gig.gif

I bought 6 RIR pullets last Spring, but one turned out to be a roo. He became just as aggressive as you describe, running at me, jumping at me, and just being a pain. After about 6 mos, he had de-feathered all of the hens, and was aggressive with them as well. We ended up having to end it after one particularly bad day. I have been trying to help the hens grow back their feathers, and they all lay well regardless. If your roo continues, you will have to get rid of him. I have two huge Red roos, separate, and they have always been very sweet, eating out of my hand, wanting to be around me. So I think you know right off if a male is going to be a good one or not. Sorry to day, yours does not sound like a keeper.

I had a cockerel who continuously kept getting in his "Dominant" position around me.So,I sprayed him with the water hose on hard before he took that to a new level and he has never ever done it towards me again,never pays me any attention....

Yes, you need to show him who is boss. I have an aggressive rooster. I would get rid of him, but he is quite cute and my partner hatched him and is quite attached. He flies up and attacks if I'm not looking. If I stare at him and point either with my arm or a stick, he stays back. Good luck with yours.

What I did with my roo anytime he tried to size me up is I would pick him up and tuck him under my arm and hold his legs so he can`t. move Then I would just take him for a walk for about 5-10 min. It is a show of dominance. It puts him in a position where he can`t fight back

Stephine, I have your Brahma rooster's twin! Mine is a lamb though and very gentle.
I have had a couple of adolescent roosters go after me. I respond by chasing them for about 10 minutes through the yard. My Lavender Orpington I went after until he was limping because I was MAD. After that he would stand with his head in the corner when I entered his coop.
Teenage roosters are like teenage boys; all bravado and no brains. I would start reacing like a big scary monster when he comes at you. You don't have to hurt him, just remind him you are a much bigger chicken than he is.

Stephine, Only read through the first page of the responses to your question, so I may be repeating someone, but let me tell you what I did with a rooster who had an issue with who really is in charge of the flock. Our oldest rooster (out of four), had an issue with only me. My wife can pick him up and pet him like a puppy, but let me come within striking distance, and he was all into the spurring issue (worst one was on my left butt cheek). Anyhow, after doing some research on rooster dominance (wife won't let me turn him into compost), I found a post which stated that I ought to try establishing my dominance like a rooster does. So, out into the backyard I went, threw my hands up in the air (similar to the karate kid movie pose), waved them around, crowing all the while I chased him around the yard and back into the run/coop area. The post which recommended this to me stated that a rooster shows its submission when it turns and runs away, thus my chasing him around the yard and such. It only took a couple of days, 2 or 3 times a day to really establish this dominance with him and I have not had an issue with him since. He will generally clear completely out of my way when I head into the coop. I can now turn my back on him without the worry of being spurred in the rear.
Course now, the neighbors had a good laugh at the crazy old fool running around the yard crowing like a rooster, chasing one. But my butt is much happier not having to worry about spurs, so who cares?
Hope this will help you.
Best regards,
Don

Stephine, Only read through the first page of the responses to your question, so I may be repeating someone, but let me tell you what I did with a rooster who had an issue with who really is in charge of the flock. Our oldest rooster (out of four), had an issue with only me. My wife can pick him up and pet him like a puppy, but let me come within striking distance, and he was all into the spurring issue (worst one was on my left butt cheek). Anyhow, after doing some research on rooster dominance (wife won't let me turn him into compost), I found a post which stated that I ought to try establishing my dominance like a rooster does. So, out into the backyard I went, threw my hands up in the air (similar to the karate kid movie pose), waved them around, crowing all the while I chased him around the yard and back into the run/coop area. The post which recommended this to me stated that a rooster shows its submission when it turns and runs away, thus my chasing him around the yard and such. It only took a couple of days, 2 or 3 times a day to really establish this dominance with him and I have not had an issue with him since. He will generally clear completely out of my way when I head into the coop. I can now turn my back on him without the worry of being spurred in the rear.
Course now, the neighbors had a good laugh at the crazy old fool running around the yard crowing like a rooster, chasing one. But my butt is much happier not having to worry about spurs, so who cares?
Hope this will help you.
Best regards,
Don
Ha! That does sound really funny! The thing is I can't really chase him around much in the pen - it would freak the hens out and cause mayhem. We're still training for free ranging (our dog - we have so many predators they can't be out by themselves)... It's just time for him to go... the two cockerels have started tussling and I like the Brahma roo much better - at least so far...

So, I have been trying to find a taker for my Welsumer, so far unsuccessfully.
Then I called a feed store and they are actually buying your unwanted rooster from tou and reselling it. They will be held in a small cage untill a buyer is found. My question is: Do you think this is unnecessarily cruel? He certainly is used to a much nicer life and I am worried he might get really scared. I am wondering if it would be more humane to give him to someone who would just break his neck and make him a meal? But if he goes to the store he might have a chance to go to some place where he can be a happy roo...
Or maybe not and then we will just have had him suffer needlessly...
What do you think?

So, I have been trying to find a taker for my Welsumer, so far unsuccessfully.
Then I called a feed store and they are actually buying your unwanted rooster from tou and reselling it. They will be held in a small cage untill a buyer is found. My question is: Do you think this is unnecessarily cruel? He certainly is used to a much nicer life and I am worried he might get really scared. I am wondering if it would be more humane to give him to someone who would just break his neck and make him a meal? But if he goes to the store he might have a chance to go to some place where he can be a happy roo...
Or maybe not and then we will just have had him suffer needlessly...
What do you think?

Depending on what kind of prices they are selling their roosters for, people may just be buying them to eat and so he will spend time in a small cage in a stressful environment only to meet the same end. It is likely that is the end he is going to meet, sadly. It sucks to be an extra rooster.
Do you not know someone who can take care of the deed for you, and keep the meat? Honestly, I believe that is the most humane option of all. Let him live the remainder of his life in a familiar environment and dispatch him humanely.

ETA: I recently was having a struggle of my own with my BCM cockerel. Then I started thinking like a chicken. His hens love me and follow me around like puppies. I talk to them and throw them treats as I am feeding the other coops. To him, this looks like wife stealin' and tidbitting for HIS girls. Of course he's going to go after me; I'm a threat to his flock as he knows it. Now I feed all the coops in their area first, feed them and open their door and walk away to feed the coops on the other side of the yard. He gets 5-10 minutes to get his girls organized and settle down outside before I return to store my feeding wagon away. We have a much better relationship because of it. I still make him get out of my way when moving around the yard but he doesn't seem as edgy around me now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom