Uh oh...Knew it was too good to be true...

4H kids and mom

Cooped Up
12 Years
Mar 10, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
Well, ChickenDuck is officially a roo. He was fine today, but I noticed just how much bigger (bulkier?) he really is compared to everyone else. And his comb is MUCH bigger and more red than anyone else's.

Well, anyway, they're still spoiled so I'm in the habit of "tucking them in" before I head off to bed. So I go out and at first no one notices me even come in, so I just stand in the corner and watch. I watch as ChickenDuck knocks down one of the other boys, scratches him, bites him, pokes him, grabs onto his neck feathers and hangs on while the other guy is trying to run away and is screaming for help.
sad.png

Then, he moves on to doing the same thing to another, then another, then a girl, and so on. Finally he sees me, and by this point I am just in shock. But he comes waddlin over and doin his cute little purr-cluck he does just for me and nudges me to pet him.
hmm.png
This is normal right? They are 6.2 weeks old today.

I thought I would have quite awhile before things got rough between the boys. Do I need to seperate them soon? I don't think I have the room! I've already divided the coop with chicken wire to raise the new chicks that are coming next week and then divided THAT down the middle so I have one side for the broilers. I used the area under the nestboxes, so it all fits nice, and is draft free for the new little bitties.

So, ChickenDuck is trying to do what? Make sure he is Top Dog? Is he just being a bully, or is this what they do? Should I worry about the other chickies? So far, no blood...Thank Goodness!
hmm.png

purrr-cluck??? chicken cat??? LOL How cute!!
Sounds to me like he is just reassuring his place as TOP DAWG...errr.Top Roo! Might want to watch tho. I have 2 roos....they are about a year old now...and up untill yesterday, they all got alond well. Now, my 2 boys are fighting..and I mean FIGHTING! I was wondering if it is because I have a hen gone broody? Does her hormone change effect the boys as well?? Hmmmmmmm...chicken science! LOL Im watching the boys....wondering...whish one I can get rid of...
sad.png
I love them both..but dont want the fighting.

Its hard to see him be such a bully when he's so sweet to us. My daughter is very upset because I've made it known that we wont keep a 'mean' roo. ChickenDuck is our favorite chicken of the bunch. If we have to loose him....
sad.png

I did read that roos can "smell" the hormones of the gals...so could be they are sensing her brooding and thats causing the fighting with yours. If thats the case, the good news is they should go back to normal when she's done.
smile.png

Oh I do hope they will go back to normal.....20 days to go! UGH~!
barnie.gif

I hope your little chicken-duck settles down as well. I think he is just going through his "bad boy teens" LOL Keep us updated....he sure is a pretty little thing..I would hate to see you have to get rid of him.

Naughty boys!

I hope ChickenDuck mellows! I've really enjoyed the pics of your little girl holding him. They obviously adore each other.

Other people have more info.. but I'm wondering if maybe he's just teaming with hormones right now? Don't most young creatures go through a bit of that?

Hope someone can tell you. I really want to keep hearing about him. He seems like such a special boy!

Yeah, my step-son went throught the same thing. It's just puberty. He should calm down some. But he's always going to be somewhat territorial with the others as long as he's in charge. Hopefully he'll be a benevolent dictator as opposed an uber-authoratative schmuck. I'm betting on the former, since he's so socialized.

Mark

My boys were like this when they were younger, but now I have no problems. they all get along quite well. The only thing i see them do is when it comes time to "get a Hen" There will be some chasing, but not fighting, no pecking and definitely no blood. I am very happy with my boys for getting along so well.

Back
Top Bottom