uh oh

nelwell

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 27, 2012
i have 6 beautiful girls. they bring us joy and 1/2 dozen eggs a day. they are about a year old now. the neighbors love them and their eggs. the problem is, just yesterday, someone from the township put a card in my door. when i called the #, they told me i had a week to get rid of the chickens. what do i do? what can i do? they have a coop, my yard is big, but i do let them free range in my fenced in yard during the day. someone please help, i dont want to give up my babies

What is the reason for making you get rid of them?

Are they in violation due to free ranging or are they simply not allowed in your zoning/township? If the latter than there is little you can do. You can attempt to change the rules but that doesn't save your present illegal chickens. You could keep them somewhere else, have the city inspect you then build a privacy fence and go all renegade. If chickens are not allowed period there is nothing you can do but work to change the ordinance for a future flock.

Right, definitely check with your zoning laws. There isn't much you can do if it's illegal to have chickens. Somebody probably complained about the chickens. :-( In the towns around here, they say no chickens.... but they don't enforce it unless a neighbor or somebody complains.

i think i know that same person. i dont see where it says specifically no chickens. i am not the only person in gibby that has them. thank you so much for the site

Chapter 400-7:
P.

The keeping or raising of any animals other than common household pets for the purpose of selling or renting such animals (either dead or alive) or their by-products is prohibited in all zones of the Borough.
[Amended 2-15-1983 by Ord. No. 83-1]

Q.

The keeping or maintaining for noncommercial purposes of any animal other than a common household pet is permissible only when all of the following conditions are met:
[Amended 2-15-1983 by Ord. No. 83-1]

(1)

The animal is housed in a stable or suitable shelter which is located on a tract of land of two acres or more in size.
(2)

No portion of the stable or suitable shelter shall be nearer than 150 feet to the property line or to a building occupied by any human being.
(3)

The stable or suitable shelter and appropriate exercise area for the animal shall be surrounded by a fence suitable to contain the animal. The fence shall be no less than four feet in height and shall be constructed from split rail, four-board posts or an equivalent fencing, also wire fencing and other suitable fencing.

Back
Top Bottom