UK Law change - all bird keepers must register their birds with DEFRA

Oh my I just sent it to my mum to look at but I didn't know anything about this thanks for posting it
I live in Devon and have a small flock of 6 ducks (9 duck eggs in the incubator eee) and 12 chickens
It is not a law till October though

Yes. I should have added that we are already registered with DEFRA as my wife is a veterinarian (we still need to register our chooks). We just get lots of alerts regarding new cases and outbreaks, etc so I don't think it's anything to worry about.

This is not a law. It is a "requirement" / a "rule", meaning you have a choice to play along or reject such nonesense. The bodies only get away with these info-gathering measures if people volunteer their info.

Key word: New registration requirements = requires / needs you to take part.

Over here in France we have to provide our name and address when we buy new hens from “official” suppliers, shops, registered breeders etc
It’s been like that for years now, I had never paid much attention until you mentioned it 🤷‍♀️

This is not a law. It is a "requirement" / a "rule", meaning you have a choice to play along or reject such nonesense. The bodies only get away with these info-gathering measures if people volunteer their info.

Key word: New registration requirements = requires / needs you to take part.
are you an expert in UK law?
Please explain this bit: "In England and Wales keepers are encouraged to register their birds ahead of the legal deadline on 1 October 2024. In Scotland, keepers should register from 1 September 2024 when there will be a new Scottish Kept Bird Register in place... The requirements will be set out in legislation shortly and keepers will also be legally required to update their information on an annual basis."

are you an expert in UK law?
Please explain this bit: "In England and Wales keepers are encouraged to register their birds ahead of the legal deadline on 1 October 2024. In Scotland, keepers should register from 1 September 2024 when there will be a new Scottish Kept Bird Register in place... The requirements will be set out in legislation shortly and keepers will also be legally required to update their information on an annual basis."

Voluntary registration – less than 50 birds​

You can register 49 birds or less, including any you keep as pets. The Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) encourages you to register even though you do not have to by law.

Yes. I should have added that we are already registered with DEFRA as my wife is a veterinarian (we still need to register our chooks). We just get lots of alerts regarding new cases and outbreaks, etc so I don't think it's anything to worry about.
I agree. I too am already registered and have been through all the Avian Flu bruhaha.
The conspiracy theorists just seem to have a field day with any such 'intrusion' on their privacy.

Back
Top Bottom