Um, "used" pine fluff?

1FastFlamingo

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Brevard County, Florida
Here`s a funny question... should I be concerned about pine pine shavings from my sisters hampster? It.s full of hidden food and couldn`t see just throwing that out. Would it be ok for my girlies to scratch around in and eat the leftover hampster food from the shavings?

I don't think the pine fluff or left over hampster food would be a problem. I don't know that I would want my chickens eating hampster crap though. And if that is in with the pine fluff and food they will eat it.

not sure if the poo would be bad for them , but i would try it , they eat some crazy stuff ......i watched my biggest roo eat a piece of a mud-dobber nest today !!!!! i tried to tell him no , but he didnt listen !!!!!! lol the hamster food wont hurt either , just concerened about the poo !!!!

I know rabbit pellets have too much sodium for chickens. Don't know about hamster though... hamsters may carry some rodent funk that might be detrimental to poultry. I say toss it.

Last edited:
i would not worry about it... my parents chickens free range and go under the rabbit and quail pens and eat all the left overs... i would make sure they are not starved before you fed it to them tho... that way they will pick and chose what they want to eat...

When I have baby chicks in the house I clean their brooder at least once a day. I take those shavings out to my coop unless the babies managed to dump their water or something to make the shavings too dirty. The only thing I would be worried about with hamster bedding is if there are any rodent diseases that can transmit to chickens. I don't think there would be enough food in the bedding for it to matter if the hamster food is healthy or not.

Back
Top Bottom