Umbilical Cord or Intestines Wrapped around feet

Star2014

Songster
6 Years
Aug 15, 2014
Last night I had a chick hatch. It all seemed to go smoothly but it wasn't getting up properly. When we checked it out it looked like what we thought (and the one article I read) was the umbilical cord but I saw it could have been the intestines? We snipped the bit without blood (not pictured) it was very thin and was a tan bit, there wasn't blood near that part. I have a picture from last night but if it was intestines I'm guessing the chick won't make it? As of now it's eating, drinking, pooping and cheeping like a normal chick.
3514DDAE-F87F-4F6B-A6F0-C8737B5CF0DE.jpeg

If it came from the vent then it was most likely an intestine.
I looked at a picture of chick anatomy (I’m not very good at it) and it was coming from between the legs, about where it says “fluff” on the picture of the white chicken. I’m not sure if that counts more for vent or stomach. After looking at the other picture the vent is higher up then I thought. I shouldn’t answer questions without looking at pictures 🤦‍♀️

Attachments

• AC20F96D-0120-446E-BF74-536F162F183A.png
    AC20F96D-0120-446E-BF74-536F162F183A.png
    122.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 4FC36941-3A0D-4637-8FA5-53F36DB0AC2B.jpeg
    4FC36941-3A0D-4637-8FA5-53F36DB0AC2B.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 15
I’m not very experienced, but chickens have one hole (I call it the poop hole) that everything is expelled from; eggs, fecal matter, “urine”, etc. Was the thing you cut coming from the “poop” hole? If it was coming from somewhere besides the poop hole, I’d imagine your chances of having cut intestine are pretty low...? It’s also a really good sign that it’s eating drinking and pooping. I would guess that if you had cut intestine that you would’ve severed any way of it being able to dispose of the bodily waste.....

I looked at a picture of chick anatomy (I’m not very good at it) and it was coming from between the legs, about where it says “fluff” on the picture of the white chicken. I’m not sure if that counts more for vent or stomach. After looking at the other picture the vent is higher up then I thought. I shouldn’t answer questions without looking at pictures 🤦‍♀️

I think it's the umbilical cord then. If it is, then she should be okay.

Back
Top Bottom