Underdeveloped Gosling from Metzer?

Have you tried to wash her eye with warm water in case any goo they are in inside the egg isn’t stuck to her. It dries clear and like cement
Have you checked her for pasty butt ?
Sometimes it happens and many don’t catch it in time
They will be lethargic , not walking , not eating. Once you clear the bum they have a poo and are right back to normal
She had a twisted neck, i believe she was deformed in the egg. We did everything we could. I force fed her the first day thinking that would get her going and she would grow, but she never did. She would drink a little, but would not eat on her own. Her sister is lonely. I can't find any goslings for sale. She spends the day being held and following me around the yard. She refuses to be alone. My husband holds her while he works at his computer. Hopefully i can put her in with the ducks and geese in about 4 weeks.

She had a twisted neck, i believe she was deformed in the egg. We did everything we could. I force fed her the first day thinking that would get her going and she would grow, but she never did. She would drink a little, but would not eat on her own. Her sister is lonely. I can't find any goslings for sale. She spends the day being held and following me around the yard. She refuses to be alone. My husband holds her while he works at his computer. Hopefully i can put her in with the ducks and geese in about 4 weeks.
Poor thing!

Hi all, first time posting here. Just wanted some advice on what seems to be an underdeveloped gosling that we recently received from Metzers.
We had a small order from them of 3 female mixed goslings (ended up with 2 white chinese and some kind of crossbreed?), but one was pretty messed up right out of the box.

The poor thing had a bad splay leg with a curled foot, an eye that wouldn't open past a sliver at most (no redness, no infection, no discharge, etc.), her other eye couldn't see that well, her umbilical cord was still attached, and she was noticeably much smaller in size than the other two. Overall, one side of her seemed to be very underdeveloped compared to the other.

We sent an email to Metzers about her right away, but all they said was to keep us posted and remarked that "you are not providing an actual starter feed, as the cracked corn has no nutritional value". The odd thing is we had not told them what we were feeding them, and they just seemed to assume by the pictures we sent them, which contained our crushed/flaked grain mixture (barely, wheat, corn, and brewer's yeast) in the background. They made no mention of what to do about any of her problems.

Fast-forward to over a week later of 24/7 care and therapy (so many sleepless nights...thank goodness I have three daughters to shoulder some of the burden), and her foot is uncurled (though the tips are still bent to one side), her energy levels are much better, and the umbilical cord literally just fell off moments ago.

Her eye, however, still won't open past a sliver and I am loathe to force it, as it still shows no sign of any sort of infection. The third eyelid still moves normally, and she seems to try and see out of it by how she tilts her head sometimes. Her eyesight in general is severely impaired, making it difficult for her to eat, groom, run, etc. as her aim is at least half an inch off. We have also noticed that the leg that had the curled foot is shorter than the other, and it seems to be taking longer than it should to correct the splay leg (we are using the splint method and providing plenty of extra nutrients and multiple kinds of fresh greens/grasses).

Anyone have any ideas on what could be done about her one eye? And/or any personal experience dealing with impaired goslings from Metzer?
Thanks in advance for any advice/helpful comments.
-G
I hope things are better with your baby. When we first started in the "goose business" we got a goose and a gander from a couple that raised many breeds of poultry. They had a goose that had gone blind for some reason and the gander took care of her. He would lead her around the yard and to feed and water. Maybe your baby would be able to develop that sort of bond with its mates.

Back
Top Bottom