Understanding pullet saddle feathers

ldirk7

Songster
May 5, 2021
SW Montana
My buff orpington (and super cuddly chicken), Stella, is somewhere between 16-16.5 weeks old. I have already posted in this thread at 8 weeks asking about my birds and I got the advice they were all pullets (and I think they are!)

I lurk on this forum each day trying to learn how people sex the young chickens (and practice by guessing along), and Stella has me confused compared to my other chickens. Her comb/waddles are small so at this age, I think she has to be a pullet. Are these saddle feathers, hackle feathers? They look pointy to me, not round like my other pullets have (it seems much more obvious on my other pullets that they are round, anyway). Could someone maybe circle where the saddle feathers are if I'm missing them, and what I think are saddle feathers are not actually them? Her neck feathers also look pointy to me.

Thank you in advance, I'm just trying to learn and better understand.
Stella comb.jpg

Stella neck.jpg

Stella tail 1.jpg

Stella tail 2.jpg

In addition to no male specific feathers, her comb and wattles are also small and pale compared to what a cockerel's would look like at this age.

Her feather quality isn't the greatest. That's why it's hard to see the rounded tips. Her hackles and saddles are definitely rounded though. Here I've outlined a few to show shape more clearly.
Screenshot_20210819-094125_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210819-094217_Chrome.jpg

Here is a good (though I wish the entire cockerel was in frame) pic showing a pair. Notice the differences in the saddle areas and the combs/wattles.
BUFF-ORPINGTON-PAIR.jpg

@Overo Mare Thank you, the drawings were extremely helpful for me to understand. On the feather quality- I am assuming this is just a genetic thing due to being bought at a feed store? Or is this a diet thing or something I could help her with? They're on Naturewise All Flock crumble w/ oyster shell on the side, and a small bowl of berries, veggies, and greens every 3-4 days or so.

@Overo Mare Thank you, the drawings were extremely helpful for me to understand. On the feather quality- I am assuming this is just a genetic thing due to being bought at a feed store? Or is this a diet thing or something I could help her with? They're on Naturewise All Flock crumble w/ oyster shell on the side, and a small bowl of berries, veggies, and greens every 3-4 days or so.
You're welcome - I'm glad they helped! I'm sure it's just the result of less than stellar genetics. Hatchery birds often have little faults here and there.

Orphingtons can be a little shredded sometimes. She is gorgeous! So is that rooster Overo Mare shared.

Back
Top Bottom