Undeveloped Comb

mtinney

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 12, 2014
One of my 8 month old chickens has a strange story. She went missing for the month of July. We thought something had gotten her. All of a sudden she turned up one day beginning of August and has stayed with the other four ever since. However, she looks strange. She is a smokey color and her comb and wattles are dull pink and undeveloped. I think she is the only one not laying an egg. I know it is my chicken because she has a bent toe on one foot. Any ideas about the undeveloped comb. I will try to submit a picture.

I Have posted a picture of one of my four healthy chickens following the undeveloped one.

Last edited:
Greetings from Kansas, mtinney, and :welcome! Great to have you in our community! The pale, underdeveloped comb could be due to a lack or proper nutrition during her month long absence. Here are some results for 'pale comb' that came up when I typed it into the BYC search box. You may be able to research what's up with your hen. And here's another for 'underdeveloped comb.' Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

She went through a molting a month ago which didn't help her any. Do you think she will improve with a consistently healthy diet from this point on?

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us! I agree with @redsoxs - her comb is probably small and underdeveloped because of lack of nutrition. But I think she will get her color back with a healthy and nutritious diet. Have a great time on BYC and best of luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom