Unexpected New Duck Mom. Help!

Pics

LadyHawk_2006

Songster
14 Years
May 18, 2008
Warwick, RI
So this is the second time that unexpected poultry has landed in my lap, but I'm not complaining :D My daughters and I were in a local park today and saw a duck who was looking kind of tattered, dirty feathers, a couple small cuts on bill and foot, and one bad eye. It was there in the morning, and still in the same place when we went back later in the afternoon. I thought it was a sick/injured wild duck and thought I'd get it to a rehabber, but then one of my duck friends told me that it looks a lot like one of her Khaki Campbell hens that she had. Since I caught her at the end of the day, I only have this one pic at the moment, but it's a pretty good profile shot. It is pretty friendly, didn't mind us close, but preferred us not to touch. When we walked away, it would follow us and look at us while making soft questioning sort of sounds as if expecting something from us. It was relaxed around us, fairly easy to catch, never attempted to fly, and seemed like even though instinct was telling it to go into the lake, it was very reluctant and stayed on dry land as if it was afraid of the water.

Is it a domestic, or should I still be getting a hold of a rehabber for a wild duck? And if it is a domestic, what breed, and is it male or female?
RiverCropped.jpg

Last edited:
Khaki Campell Drake. He doesn't look very well :(. Couldn't help but notice his feet are pointed inwards/Overlapped, Does he walk funny?
Yes, when we found him he had a bit of a limp. Still seems to have it a little this morning, but he is talkative, friendly, eating, drinking, bathing, and preening, so I think with a bit of rest he will be fine :D

I got a few pix of breakfast/bath time. He's in the bath tub for now until we can make some more permanent living arrangements. I am going to Tractor Supply in a little bit for duck food, but I wanted to see him eat and have a bath before I did that, so he's eating some peas in water and seems to love it. The pea mash went flying, and he gobbled up all the bits. I wasn't going to use the shower hose on him at first, but I used it to wash a poop out and he quacked happily and went right into the running water. Filled the tub a few inches and he seems to be in ducky Heaven. My daughters named him River last night before we even got him into the car to go home, so I guess that's his name!
83680892_137907990589631_4935477512609202176_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom