Unknown type

upcdayz

Songster
9 Years
Feb 20, 2010
Oklahoma
Would anyone out there be able to help identify what kind of chick this is? She came from an assorted pullet bin at a local feed supply store, and is about 3 & 1/2 weeks old. Rather flighty, and hard to get good photos of.

49372_013.jpg

49372_018.jpg

49372_019.jpg

Last edited:
Fred's Hens :

When you find out, let us all know!!! Seriously! A bunch of us picked up some of these "mystery" chicks at TSC. Obviously some kind of Australorp cross, but what? We a little mystified and the hatchery information is woeful.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/69833_dscf3096.jpg

Your chick at the right looks just like mine. I got two of these at Atwood's in Kingfisher, OK. When I asked what kind they were, no one knew, but referred me to Ideal Hatchery where their chicks come from. I haven't tried to contact them, but though they wouldn't be much help anyway.

Your chick on the left doesn't look the same as the other one. Looks like you have two different kinds.​

Last edited:
Oh yes, well aware. The little BR just was in the frame of the photo.
smile.png

I have four of these mystery chicks. I've had the traditional Black Star, (BSL) in the past, and these are not those. Obviously, this is some commercial cross, but no one yet seems to be able to identify them, nor has anyone gotten a straight answer from the hatchery supposedly behind the TSC or Atwoods sales. Someone mentioned an email from Mt Healthy hatchery stating, "Well, they are not a sex link, but they'll be "like" an Australorp". Ummm OK.

Quote:
Oh, I hope she isn't a he!
hmm.png
The odd thing is, both of them had tiny combs already when I got them. They were only a couple of days old then.

Someone on another string said they look like BSL, which is what I've suspected all along. I'm OK with that, just curious to know.

Here's the thing. I've had traditional black sex links before. Just sold the last of them. They just didn't look like this year's distribution of these mysterious black pullets. Here's an updated pic of mine. I have four of these "pullets", with two looking different than the other two and none of them looking like the BSLs of the past.

69833_dscf3112.jpg

Quote:
I was thinking this for the OPs bird, also. Wyandottes are supposed to have a rose comb and this bird has a straight comb, hence the "very bad hatchery" comment. The lacing isn't nice and pretty, either. I'm waiting to see how the lacing will be on my GLW
hmm.png

Two years in a row I have bought what were supposed to be Australorp pullets from Atwoods in Shawnee.
The girls last year looked more like a cross between Australorp and Black sex link. Here is a photo of one of the grown hens. Broodie, lay great brown eggs, great mothers.

23941_100_4768.jpg

This year, the chicks look the same and some are more Australorp...with some staying black and a few getting the red feathering.

Back
Top Bottom