Unsafe plantlife?

Queen of the Lilliputians

Songster
12 Years
Apr 5, 2007
Maine
Are daylilys safe for chickens to eat? What about evergreens? Are there poisonous plants (can I go by the list I use for kids/dogs, or is it something different?).

I'm asking because Hubby is concerned that our chicken coop screams CKN COOP!!! the second you pull in the driveway, so I'd like to screen it with some plants.. but don't want to poison the chickens in the process!!

I don't know about daylilies. But you could plant sunflowers around the coop, they're pretty and the chicks can eat them when fall comes. Cosmos would look good too! I wouldn't go with morning glories or other vines because a few of them are poisonous. Hope this helped!
smile.png

Wow!! That's a HUGE List.
old.gif
I know I have some of these plants. Will the chickens leave them alone? Do they know not to eat it? I'd hate to dig up alot of my flowers.
th.gif

bayouchica thanks for the link! And that list is huge! I better get my printer fixed so I can print it out!

And I love the sunflowers and cosmos idea! Actually... I'm planting BOTH of those this year anyway (and got a bunch of packages of cosmos for my b-day <I get gardening supplies from my dad... I'm such a geek!> that I wasn't sure where to plant). That's perfect!

Thanks for all your help, guys!
yippiechickie.gif

-Meg

That is a humongous list! I think I'm taking it with a grain of salt though. I only got through the c's and saw it listed garlic, chives, cabbage, kale, mustard greens, apple (seeds), apricots (seeds), cherries (kernels inside the pits). Most of the plants seemed to be weeds. If chickens are free-ranging, they will have access to all manner of weeds and other stuff.

I think I will just not intentionally give bad things to my chickies, and trust their good judgment to not eat bad stuff they find along the way.
big_smile.png

I'm about to scan the list as i've spent the last 2 hours searching for this exact info but if anyone happens to know if bluebells are bad for them or a weed called "horsetail" i'd be grateful. we got some chicks today, 5 and 8 wks old and the piece of grass we've put the run on has a few bluebells and a load of horsetal weeds that they we're picking about and i don't want to leave them in there if they're harmful. especially as we have a habit of picking animals with no sense!
hmm.png
thanks jess

Oooh dear! I've been feeding my 3 week old chicks docks! I think I'll accept that the older hens know exactly what to eat and pretend I never saw the list (could somebody delete it for me please?
smile.png
)

Back
Top Bottom