Unsure if Hen or Roo?

JPBeni

In the Brooder
May 15, 2023
Hi all,
Needing some help figuring out if Bertha is a roo or hen! Bertha is 3 months old and looks to be a cross between a barred rock and easter egger/araucana, due to the beard.

Reasons on why you think Bertha will be a hen or a roo would be great!
1692734171800.png

1692734179331.png

I'm not sure since barred rock hens look to also have a big red comb!
1692734190025.png

Last edited:
The hands holding the bird are covering the saddle feather area. At this age or in the near future a cockeral will start to get pointed feathers there. A pullets will remain rounded. If this bird is about 12 weeks then I would say cockeral based on comb, but if it is closer to 15 weeks I would not take that guess without seeing the saddle feathers

Thanks @Shabby Chic-Hens ! Can I ask how you knew it wasn't a roo? I also thought to add audio of a potential crow that Bertha made the other day that confused me. (Bertha Audio)
i cannot hear it, I do not have access. I sent you a request to be able to access the audio

The hands holding the bird are covering the saddle feather area. At this age or in the near future a cockeral will start to get pointed feathers there. A pullets will remain rounded. If this bird is about 12 weeks then I would say cockeral based on comb, but if it is closer to 15 weeks I would not take that guess without seeing the saddle feathers
Here are hopefully better pictures! They were born exactly on May 14
1000013839.jpg

1000013836.jpg

Back
Top Bottom