Unsure of breeds

chickenchick32

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2016
Rock Hill SC
OK so we adopted our first set of chickens about 2 months ago. We absolutely adore them. We have 2 roos and 2 hens. We were told they were Americaunas, but the pictures we've seen, say otherwise. So I'm taking to BYC, to see if yall can help tell me what we have. I'm sorry about the quality and closenessof the picture. They don't like having their photo taken lol.
Thanks!

The two white colored are likely game mixes.

I can't really see the black ones well enough to say anything much other than they are not Ameraucana.

FYI, there is no such thing as Americana...Ameraucana is a breed that lays blue shelled eggs and has a beard/muff, pea comb, and slate colored legs. Most often you see a hybrid of that as Easter Egger...but I'm not seeing any Easter Eggers in your photos....close ups would help tremendously.

BTW, you may want to add some more hens. 2 roos with 2 hens is pretty low ratio. Typically you want 10 hens per rooster, especially if you have more than 1 rooster, or the girls get "over worked."

LofMc

No Favorelles pictured here....Favorelles are bearded with feathered legs.

...and I can't get the photo to enlargen enough for me to see the black birds really well...but I'm not sure you've got 2 roosters...both the black birds in that photo look to be Black Sexlink hens.

Are you sure you have 2 roosters?

Again...need much better photo to see anything for the black birds.

LofMc

I thought I could see a beard in that rooster
I know they have feathered legs but I can't see
The feet
I was only, throwing that out there

Last edited:
The hens might be Easter Eggers if they lay colored eggs, otherwise they are mixed breeds. No Ameraucana in them, that I can see evidence of. Might have Easter Egger in their mix.

My spelling is horrible when i try to spell ameraucana lol. Definitely 2 roosters, the younger black one has started crowing and getting after the hens. With the been to roo ratio, we are worrying on that lol. We just put some 5 week Olds out in our second coop to get them adjusted with the other chickens. And we are getting more chicks April the 2nd. I have some better pictures i hope. Thanks for all the feedback so far

Back
Top Bottom