Update.......Found a dove......Can you help????

love-my-wolves

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Front Royal, VA
Now what? My neighbors were in their back yard, and along comes this little white bird. They rush to catch it, as they have 5 dogs. When they get it, they figure it is a dove, and know they cannot keep it. So they ask if I will keep it, since I am used to chickens. Well, I don't know anything about doves, if that is what she is. She is in a large bird cage, and I put a dish of water, but she sits in it. She is very calm and tame, loves to be held. What do I feed her, does she need extra care? I don't know how old she is, she is about the same size as my 2 1/2 week old silkies. Is she a baby or full grown? Will she eat just parakeet food? Does she need a nest/box/toys? Will she be ok by herself? I put some shavings that I had for the chickens, is that ok? I will be listing found adds for her, but just in case, I need to know how best to care for her. She has no tags on her legs, which are red splotchy colored. Any help would be great!!!! Thanks!!! Steph

GEDC2522.jpg

Last edited:
first off, i know nothng about these birds, but I know alot of ppl raise pigeons, and I think you would basically raise them the same way. If it is a dove, and IDK if it is, they are the same family.

I know there are ppl on this froum who raise pigeons, but I can;t thnk of who at this moment. good luck!

Thanks Miss_the north!!! I think (after much research) it is a Snow White Silky Ringneck. But IDK. Maybe a white pigeon? Maybe I'll see if OEGBman can help, too. Steph

Well,

It definitely looks like a Dove! I dont have much experience with doves, but I do believe their care is similiar to Pigeons. When my grandma had her doves (Diamonds) she fed them finch food, because her's lived with her finches. My pigeons get layer crumble with hen scratch. It might not be the best feed, but its what everyone else gets! Doves dont get too large, Im not sure how you would tell if she's an adult or not though. I dont have much experience with pigeons either, I just got a pair and they had a baby. I dont believe she will play with toys. She will need room to fly, but provide her with perches as well. It would be best to get her a buddy, I believe they are flock animals. Im not sure about the shavings, but Im sure it would be ok. Im sorry I couldnt be more help!

*wolves, hey! The ring-necks in my yard eat Chook's leftovers at the end of the day. I feed Chook layer crumbles with a tbsp of scratch and a tbsp of wild bird with boss and a tbsp. of oyster shell grit. You can pick up dove mix at a pet store later if you want.

When I had doves, I fed them scratch and chick starter, or sometimes wild bird seed. Its hard to tell its an adult, they grow so quickly. Has it ate or drank anything yet? you might have to feed it with a medicine syringe or a dropper if it isnt old enough to feed itsself

Quote:
No, it hasn't eaten or drunk, though it did splash in the dish of water, so it may have drank some then. It is roosting now. I put in some starter and some parrot food (universal bird food for med/lg birds) mixed in the dish. It's just a parakeet food dish, so maybe it doesn't like it? I was gonna wait until morning to feed it, just cause I think it may be scared from the 5 dogs that were after it. She is sooooo sweet, though. Loves to be held and talked to. If I need to syringe feed it, what is best to put in the syringe? How will I know if it is supposed to be eating on it's own? Will it just do it by itself when it's old enough? Sorry, I know it's a lot of ???'s but I really like her, and want her to be healthy. Oh, from tip of tail to head she is 8 inches. Thanks!!! Steph

I am not sure what the best thing to use is, but I have taken care of baby doves, pigeons, other wild birds, and I always mix a little chick starter and warm water to make a paste and feed it in a med. sirynge. It could very well be upset and not eating. I would give it untill tomorrow sometime. Once it calms down, you should be able to tell if it is still a baby by the way it acts. An adult will roost, walk around, eat, drink, where a baby will pretty much stay huddled in the same spot most of the time, and maybe flap its wings a little( sorry, its hard to describe the wing flap thing) Maybe someone who knows more will see this. Hopefully it is just upset, and will start to eat for you tomorrow. I love doves, they make great pets, they are really sweet and calm.

Back
Top Bottom