Update.......Found a dove......Can you help????

* Steph, if it's not full-grown, it's probably pretty close. Keep your eyes peeled for another one-- Doves mate for life, unless it's mate dies, so there may be another. (Ed:goof repair) OH!! and they are ground-level eaters, so you may have better luck getting her to eat by filling a plate with sand and scattering the food on top.

Last edited:
Thanks Debby!!! I will do that, and update in the morning!

DK, yeah, we wondered that, too, and the neighbors are keeping a close eye out. I'm thinking it was a pet, and someone has the mate.
sad.png
If that's true, I really hope they answer my add. I would be sad to know it was lonely. If it isn't mated already, should I look for a mate? How would I tell? Thanks again!!!! Steph

* Beats me!! At this time of year, I'm not sure if you'll even find out gender. IF female, I not sure she'd even be laying this time of year to prove it, you know?? If you have a bird cage, you might be able to put him/her outside early in the a.m. and in the afternoon and see if it calls for a mate. That's about all I can think of; Sorry.

Last edited:
Ok, update time!! She did great overnight, and has been eating and drinking. I had her out of the cage today, before my DD's B-day party, and she loves to sit on my computer. Thanks everyone!!! Steph

If they are anything like Mourning Doves, they lay all summer. Think it only takes something like 2 weeks from hatch to them leaving the nest? Maybe it was released for a wedding or something... This topic made me curious, so I did a search and found a site with some neat information http://www.doveline.com/faq.html And most birds that mate for life do take another mate when they lose theirs...

Back
Top Bottom