update from alli

alli

Hatching
12 Years
Mar 9, 2007
took the 5 chicks (now) out of the bator and put them in their temporary brooder (cardboard box with lamp attatched). I figured there were enough of them now to keep each other warm. They are starting to dry out and get fluffy already. They still don't look too coordinateed and hobble around and peep alot then lay down for a rest. None are interested in the water. I need to go buy food but I don't want to leave until one of my kids is home to keep an eye on them. It looks like I had one chick pip alittle and then die in the shell, there is no movement for several hours. There are still 16 other eggs but it was so cold when they were shipped and who knows how many were viable. There were not any instructions with the egg delivery or the bator about letting the eggs "rest" 24 hous before putting them in the bator. Unfortunately I put them in right away and then read in a book later about the transport waiting period to let the eggs get to room temp. Also the water was fine Friday and then when I went to remove the egg turner on the 18th day, Sunday,it was bone dry. I filled both resevoirs as it said to increase the humidity in the last days before hatching but I don't know how many hours they were dry. Seems like there is a note about problems when you have too much or not enough humidity so I wasn't sure. Hopefully we'll get another or two. Should I just wait another 2-3 days before I discard the other eggs?

Congrats on your new peeps.
jumpy.gif
They will come around and are usually wobbly their first few hours, until they get their feet under them. They don't need food or water for 3 days, but keep it in there, cuz once they get on their feet, they'll go find it. The sooner they find it the better, IMO.

I'd definitely give the rest of the eggs a couple more days. Even the one you don't see movement, could be resting. I hope you get a few more chicks, but even if you don't, you did very well if this was your first try at hatching (especially on shipped eggs).

Jody

Alli, you should definately wait a few more days on those last few. I just learned that lesson the hard way with button quail eggs
sad.png
And grats on your new peeps. I had some hatch last night, but they're still in the bator. Don't want to open that lid a little too much, especially since 1 more just hathed.

I also had some eggs shipped to me via mail. I thought it might have been a little too cold, but seems it was okay, anyway. Seven peeps have hatched out of 13 and maybe still more on the way (hopefully). The thing out those shipped eggs, was, most of their air cells looked irregular when candled. I was nervous as to whether they would hatch or not, but they did
jumpy.gif
I'm the type of person not to be too excited or happy about anything, but these peeps were kind of exception
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom