UPDATE: Hen repeatedly tossed newly hatched chick from nest. Am I doing the right things so far?

NightingaleJen

Crowing
12 Years
May 25, 2011
From Motown to Rural Ohio
We have a first-time broody Barred Rock whose eggs are due to hatch today. Sure enough, I heard peeping in the coop and popped out to check. Our hen had tossed the still-wet chick from the nest into the litter. I tried tucking the peep beneath the hen several times, including in the rear fluff area of the hen, but still, that poor peep was in the cold (and physically cold, as I picked it up to cuddle it up to my skin and gently rub it more than once). I also found a sort of squashed, half-hatched egg in the litter. :( That one was gone. :(

We don't have an incubator or a separate brooder area, though I could rig one up. At the moment, I have the chick beneath the heat plate, which I understand is not ideal but again, it's what I have. I'll get warm water and ground-up chick food out shortly.

I understand that 1) sometimes chicks hatch with a problem, aren't going to make it, and somehow the hen knows and 2) we may have to brood these babies ourselves. We've done that before, it's not an issue.

But am I doing all right so far? Any other suggestions?

This hen's sister brooded a quartet of chicks earlier this year and was an amazing mother. TBH, I'm a little disappointed in this girl.

ETA: The rest of the flock cannot get to the broody and chicks. They can peek in, but generally don't.

Also, I noticed another egg beneath her had pipped. How often should I be checking for the welfare of that bird, in case it also needs to be placed beneath the heat plate?

I think it is rare, but dome broodies just don't get the chick thing. I think it might be time to set up the brooder and try to be there when the next one hatches to see what mom thinks of it.
Yes, I already have another brooder just about ready to go. Thank you. Our first broody's chicks just began popping from beneath her, all fluffed out, so I have no idea how long there is from pip to peep--any suggestions on timing?

How is the hatching going? Most first-time broodies are great moms, but now and then, one comes along like you are experiencing. It's like they don't understand that the wet, rat-like thing that emerged from an egg-gone-bad is their new baby chick. Since you mentioned the first chick was cold, be aware that new chicks can get hypothermia very quickly, which will cause their internal organs to shut down. If you want to give these new chicks the best chance to live, monitor the hatching process very closely. If mom keeps rejecting each just-hatched chicks, you can remove them to a heated temporary brooder, wait until they dry and fluff up, then reintroduce them to your broody tonight to see if she will accept them then. The new chicks don't need food or water since they are receiving nutrients from their absorbed egg yolks, just make sure they are warm and dry.

Please let us know how this goes.

20230704_180957.jpg

Update!

The hen, Chaplin, threw three more chicks out of the nest. Each was removed and placed into a temporary brooder with the heat plate. About twenty minutes ago, having heard peeping from beneath her for ages, I felt beneath Chaplin a bit (for which I paid) and found a happy, dry, fluffy chick! I still removed it to the brooder.

Do you all think Chaplin figured it out? Why would she keep this one after attacking and pitching out the others?

So far as reintroducing them: any tips? I'm assuming wait until after dark. Should we stick around in case there is chaos?

Thank you!

That is Great news! I suspect she did finally figure it out. In the past I've had 2 first-time broodies kill their first-hatched chicks. I was sooo mad at both moms, and immediately removed and gave their remaining eggs to other broodies. Both moms soon became confused and distressed, and looked all around for their other eggs. The following years I decided to give both hens One. More. Chance. The second time around, both hatches went off without a hitch and both were great moms. I know that some broodies do intentionally kill their chicks every single time though, so there is always a risk.

As far as introducing the chicks back to your broody, here is what i do to hopefully ensure a sucessful adoption.

Always give chicks to broodies at night. (I do have a few broodies who will adopt chicks on sight during daylight, but it's fairly rare.) In pitch black darkness except for a dim flashlight so You can see, place each chick in the nest box behind and beneath mama hen's tail. Each chick will instinctively go underneath the broody for warmth. Observe your broody's reactions. She will shift her body some as she feels the warmth and movement of the chicks, but should remain mostly still and quiet. If all seems well, keep adding chicks. After all chicks are added, observe your broody for several minutes (mostly by sound since you will be mostly in darkness) to make sure she seems quiet and content. If so, leave her for the night. Then plan to get up well before dawn tomorrow morn to observe her reactions as she sees the chicks for the first time. Since you've already had another broody raise chicks, I assume you know the positive signs of acceptance to look for, including clucking softly at them, eyeing them with utter adoration, etc. If you have a game or other camera you can aim at her, that will help you see if she is continuing to act properly toward her chicks without having to physically check in so frequently. I am very hopeful she will accept her chicks with no more issues and be a great mom. Please let us know! The chicks are adorable!:love

Back
Top Bottom