UPDATE: Hen repeatedly tossed newly hatched chick from nest. Am I doing the right things so far?

So another update: We ended up keeping the chicks in the mudroom last night for various reasons (my having been under the weather being part of this). This morning we found one more happy peep and two unhatched eggs beneath the hen, who fluffed right back up in her nest over the chick already there.

ATM we are trying to decide if we trust Chaplin enough to return the other five chicks to her or if we want to care for them ourselves at this point. If it is the former, we will sneak the babies back tonight. One has splayed legs, so on with some Vetwrap. Not sure how Chaplin will feel about that, or the chick itself, as it is having difficulty walking.

FWIW, we used a version of @Shadrach more natural nest box material from his article asking why we make a hen's job difficult. Between that and @DobieLover idea, we scooped up mossy soil from our woods and put it into the nest. The hatch rate is much higher than with our first broody, and the hen seems more comfortable physically as well. Great idea!

20230704_202016.jpg

If you don't mind raising the chicks yourself, I would raise those myself and let mama hen keep the chick she has, plus any more that hatch. This will allow you peace of mind that the chicks you have removed are cared for, plus allow the one chick to overcome its splayed legs issue. (Not sure mom would tolerate the vet wrap, and could injure the chick trying to peck the vetwrap off. Plus, the chick might not be able to keep up with mom and siblings.) Leaving the remaining chick with your broody will also allow you to access whether she will be a good mom in the future.

If you don't mind raising the chicks yourself, I would raise those myself and let mama hen keep the chick she has, plus any more that hatch. This will allow you peace of mind that the chicks you have removed are cared for, plus allow the one chick to overcome its splayed legs issue. (Not sure mom would tolerate the vet wrap, and could injure the chick trying to peck the vetwrap off. Plus, the chick might not be able to keep up with mom and siblings.) Leaving the remaining chick with your broody will also allow you to access whether she will be a good mom in the future.
Thank you, this is excellent advice. Well, it sits more comfortably with me, anyhow! :D But I appreciate it, thank you. That's what we will do. 💐

Will the solitary chick be okay with the broody? She and the chick left the nest itself this afternoon, and the other eggs were no good (candled to be sure, but the sloshing is a sure sign...). Would it be better to try and get a couple additonal chicks for it?

One chick will do fine with a broody, unlike a solitary chick in an artificial brooder who has no company at all. If you wanted to give additional chicks to mama hen, you could try with the ones you already have. OK. Yes you Could purchase more chicks for your broody to adopt, but that is a prime example of how chicken math begins.😅

Lone chicks with a broody do better than incubator singles, but they still sometimes struggle with flock dynamics when they are older. Slipping one back now might help, but is not a must do because the hen raised chick will bond with other chicks of similar age shortly after weening. The ones you brood will work for that if you return them to the coop after brooding

Just wanted to drop another update--all peeps are doing well. Chaplin worships the one peep she hatched out without throwing from the nest, and the other five are happy and doing well in a (larger) emergency brooder. We will likely have them in the coop brooder soon. Thanks for your help! 💐

(Today the quintet had playtime in another tote.)

20230709_141522.jpg

Back
Top Bottom