UPDATE, I THINK I MESSED UP! does it matter how long

imfowl

Songster
11 Years
Dec 17, 2008
Louisiana
I just put 3 eggs under my broody hen. She has been sitting on golf balls for about a week. Does this matter? will she only be broody for 21 days? Is candling necessary?

I just went put some hay in there, and now she wont sit back on the eggs.

Last edited:
No , my broody was broody for almost 2 weeks before I put eggs under her. I tried to break her of it, but it didn't work so I put eggs under and she hatched out 4 healthy, happy babies!

Candling definitely is not necessary. Just peak in every so often to make sure there are no smelly ones!!
wink.png

Should be fine. Most will set for 30-40 days. Some give it up early and many will go on much longer. I had one Brazilian game hen that would hatch 3 clutches, if I removed the chicks and renewed the eggs. One Spanish game hen sat for almost 5 months on straw. Had to break her up for health reasons. Candling is not mandatory.

Try putting the golf balls back in the milk crate, then at night switch out most of the golf balls for the eggs but leave one. Give her some time to want to set back down again.

That just hapend to me! But mine was siting for 2 days and i made a box for her to sit in and she jumped out! And now is not siting on the eggs!!! Well i hope we cant get some answers!!!! Should we make the chickens sit on the eggs if we are going throu all this trubel?!!!

Chicken Girl

Just got back inside. I was just freaking out. She sat back on them and fluffed up and purred when I tried to move her. 21 days and counting! Cant wait.

Back
Top Bottom