UPDATE: ITS THE FOOT NOT THE HIP:added picture

Mountain Sunshine

Songster
10 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Cleveland, Georgia
This morning I got the pullet out and held her and she ate a little bit. I put her down on the floor and it seems to be the foot that is hurt. I am going to go to the feed store and get some vet tape and wrap it, but I was wondering about wrapping it. Do I wrap it straight or with a bend in it like it would be as if she were standing? And do I need padding to put the foot on?

We went to pick up 2 wellsummer pullets this afternoon and when we were there, the person who we got them from asked if we were interested in this pullet that he was going to put down. I asked him what happened to her. He said that a few days ago he was moving the chicken tractor that the flock was in to a new spot with grass and that when he went to put it down, it landed on her. She is hobbling around on her one good leg but can't put pressure on the the other. I felt so bad for her, and my heart went out to her. I brought her home and gave her a bath, dried her and looked her over. Her leg looks fine as well her feet. We think it could be her hip. I feel so sorry for her. I have her in a crate with shavings inside our house and she is sleeping.
Any advise on what to do and what to give her?

Last edited:
I wish I knew... Do you think it could just be bruised?
fl.gif
hopefully someone else will chime in! Keep us posted please...

You are so kind to try to help the injured hen. You'd probably need to take an x ray to know what her injuries are. She may have broken bones or other internal injuries. If you can'/don't want to spend $500 - $1,000 at a vet to find out what is wrong, I would continue supportive care and hope she recovers. She may not regain the use of her leg but a one legged chicken can survive - I have one myself, a 4 year old Cochin named "Special Edna".

I have read on BYC that you can give aspirin or ibuprofen to chickens. I have not done it myself but you might want to search BYC for more info. Your hen is likely in pain, it would be great to give her something for it. If you can get a prescription from a vet, great painkillers for birds are Metacam and Rimidil but you would likely need a prescription.

Other than that, keep her warm, isolated from your flock, put vitamins in her water, offer a variety of healthy snacks in addition to chicken food - yogurt, scrambled eggs, etc., encourage her to eat as much as possible, limit her movement for a few days.

If she seems to be okay other than not using her leg, I also recommend taking her outside every day, supervised, for some time in the sun for her mental well-being. I have nursed many sick chickens and think they can lose their will to live when kept inside, slowing their recovery.

If she does recover and remains a one legged chicken, she may not be able to live with your flock as they may bully her. My Edna was able to fend for herself for 4 years, but recently her good leg has started to fail so she does not get around as well, so we have to keep her in a separate coop with a few mild mannered friends.

Good luck!

gonzo&hispeeps :

I wish I knew... Do you think it could just be bruised?
fl.gif
hopefully someone else will chime in! Keep us posted please...

I don't think it's just bruised, she can hobble, but she can't walk on the right leg. It just seems to me that it is coming from the hip. She is resting in the crate and she just ate a few bites of scrambled egg, but just a few bites. I wish I knew what to do about the pain. When she tries to get up she makes a noise like it really hurts.​

Quote:
Thank you. I am going to try and see how she does. I am going to get some baby aspirin for now and call the vet to see if they can give us something to ease her pain.
I will keep her in for a few days then take her out like you suggested. I agree that being out in the sun just does something to boost the spirit.
I am rooting for her. She is very sweet! She seems really scared right now though. Oh, can I get the vitamins at the feed store?

Last edited:
I am currently nursing an injured pullet myself. Dissolve some baby aspirin in her water, it helps tremendously with the pain. My girl was "moaning" also.
I wish you the best!

Mountain Sunshine is spot on.
and...

Put a piece of 4x4 in the crate or a small box/platform so she can rest with her bottom out of the bedding. Keep the cage exceptionally clean and allow her to position the leg where it is most comfortable. Cover the cage with a towel or blanket to calm her and to keep drafts from bothering her. With reduced activity she is vulnerable to cold. Is her feathercoat nice and full?

Obtain some low-dose (81 mg) aspirin and crush with a spoon and dissolve in about a quart of water, perhaps a little less. Either make that her water source or offer with a dropper separately by drizzling on her beak (avoid the nares) several times a day.

If you offer separately this will allow you to put vitamins in her water, such as polyvisol (no added iron) or poultry vitamins. The reason these are needed is because while healing the calcium to restore the bone must be supported by vitamins B, E and especially vitamin D. She is also of an age when vitamin demand is very high. These vitamins can be bought at Walmart or any pharmacy.

Baby her with scrambled, eggs, yogurt...and mix water or yogurt with her feed. Watch for any curling of the toes in case you have to brace them with moleskin, but you may be able to heal this without a pad or brace.

And please check back with us as often as you can and let us know how she is responding.
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom