Update : my Chubby checker lay her 1st egg?

Update, found a little egg NEXT to the coop. Checker has quieted down. Why would she decide to drop her 1st egg in sand next to the lil run, instead of IN the coop ahe spent so much time digging around in?

She's a dominique, was born/hatched May 17th so about 19 weeks old. We have 2 others same age one is a golden comet the other black sex link. Neither are showing this behavior that checker started today. Shes been squawking a lot, in and out of the coop many times and i hear scratching noises in there.
They free range my yard all day and normally only go in the coop at dusk, so to see her in ans out & so vocal is abnormal for her. Also she seems to be panting a little and its not that hot out.
I thought she'd be the last one to lay, as what ive read about the breed is they start later than the hybrid. I chose dominque because they're more docile & friendly to be a pet to my daughter. They all are really sweet. Any input? Heres a pic of her today

Attachments

• 20220918_153404.jpg
    20220918_153404.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220918_153451.jpg
    20220918_153451.jpg
    816.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220918_163746.jpg
    20220918_163746.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Thank you, I've been lingering and reading posts since before the girls hatched, so I tried to include info I see asked. Is there any more I should add? She does squat when pet but keeps moving along, so i dont know if that's more of "im shimmying away nicely so i don't hurt your feelings by just running away" lol. I did read that article before and am not confident im my ability to check her butt/vent
I did read that

Add a fake egg which will show her where to lay.

Congratulations! First eggs are special 🥳
Ive had a fake egg in there for 2 weeks :( I'm wondering if my daughter opening the nesting box while Checker was running in and out of the coop like a crazy bird scared her. Should i put her 1st egg back in? We didn't crack it open, it has a surprisingly strong shell for being so small.
I just bought a new bag of grower feed yesterday, i guess i bring it back and get layer crumbles now?

It often takes pullets a while to figure where she should lay, but all mind have got there eventually.

There nothing wrong with feeding grower as long as you've got oyster shell out.
Ok. Im building them a bigger coop for winter so they'll have more room if they wanna stay inside during bad weather, maybe them NOT being settled in to these nesting boxes is for the best. I'm still in shock that we got an egg, i was really thinking we'd be waiting until next spring ciz the days got real short real fast here in PA over past 2 weeks. Now looking at NinjaB!tch (black sex link) her comb & waddles are just as red as Checkers... she may be getting ready as well. She's the adventurous one, who may be laying by the backfence & shed for all i know at this point🤷🏽‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom