Update, Necropsy Results

Pics
This is exactly my thoughts. The Organic feed used by the OP and the "Scratch and Peck" feed used by @Michael Propst are both non micronized which means that they have quite large fragments of grains enabling a chicken to pick and choose between ingredients and meaning that if a particular chicken has a taste for one component of the feed, they will actively select them over others.
I think it is very relevant that both hens that were diagnosed with this fatal disorder were fed a course mix feed like this and sadly at great expense to their owners who thought they were giving them the best they could buy.

I posted on your other thread about my views on this necropsy result but assumed you were feeding scratch. I would encourage you to change to a micronized feed.... probably pelleted is best. Chickens can pick up tiny specks of things you can barely see, so it is not unreasonable that they will pick their favourite bits out of a feed where the particle size is this large...... in my opinion the feed is the problem, particularly if it is fed from a dispenser where they can clearly see all the particles or even scattered on the ground. I imagine there may be some considerable waste when feeding this product as there will be a strong temptation to all chickens to bill out and eat only their favourite bits.

Wow thank you, I would never have know that. The issue for me is I’m allergic to soy so I buy this brand mainly for that reason and also because I thought it was so healthy for my chickens and it being organic. I can’t say there’s ever any waste. The feeder usually only has a few crumbs left. Could be the ducks are finishing it up though, they’re both hardy eaters and I don’t think can pick and chose because of their bills. I wonder if I could grind the feed up in my grinder or food processer so they can’t pick?

I would be curious to know how many people that use these type of feeds have premature deaths, prolapses, poor laying, internal laying etc.
I would imagine that few have necropsies done.
The sad thing is in my opinion that these feeds are expensive and people feel like they are doing the very best for their chickens by buying them.

If people are not convinced by my reasoning I would urge you to test it by throwing a handful down on a paving slab and seeing which pieces get eaten first and what is the last to get eaten.
I like your reasoning it makes sense.

Thanks tons for not feeling attacked. :)

I was picturing a 50# bag! Big difference for 5#. It's good to ask questions before jumping to any conclusions. Our (my) imagination can surely fill in some WILD blanks. It's a REALLY good think I'm not an over reactor or drama queen for the most part. ;)

That's a very reasonable price, thank you for sharing not only the price but your experience. Though I know that will still be a stretch for some, If they have some idea of how far... it might make it more of a consideration for them. Verses thinking it's a hundred dollars or worse. Many peoples' (MY) brain often thinks the worst possibility, at least prepares for the worst possibility before I even move forward. So basically I'm saying it could help someone like me with anxiety too.

I think the OP on this thread actually lost a second girl within a couple days of the first who's necropsy findings were fatty liver. :(

Losing 1 does seem like a relief compared to losing two, still glad that was it for you and hope for NO more loss here! :fl

No No I ONLY LOST ONE CHICKEN Thank God!!! I put that in caps because someone else thought the same thing. Sorry if I confused anybody but no no only one chicken... However Someone else on here also just lost a hen to the same thing.
Your funny and I understand I can be the same way at times lol. You should see me when I lose my cell phone I’m sure I left it in the store or dropped it outside the car and I got ran over, and my husband patiently says it’s in your purse I’m sure while I’m screaming and throwing everything out of my purse saying it’s not in there only to find it somewhere in there LOL

There is another recent post on the forum where a lady was complaining that her chickens wouldn't eat corn. Several other people joined the discussion, some saying that theirs wolfed it down and others, that their birds would not touch it. It may be that your Buff was one of those that particularly liked it and got more than her fair share, essentially making most of her diet corn. I know it sounds a bit gruesome but it would have been interesting to see the contents of her crop from the necropsy.

and just to reiterate this is not an attack @flwrldy just constructive criticism toward the feed :hugs you were doing the right thing, feeding the right stuff, and i LOVE that you had the necropsy done!!!

Thank you so much, your sweet but I honestly don’t feel attacked at all. I truly truly appreciate all of y’alls input and information. I know a few people thought that two of my hens died but no I only lost one chicken thank God

I'm going to mention that it's well known that pet birds and pet rodents will pick out the 'good stuff' from a seed blend type feed, and develop fatty liver as a result. That's why I feed a pelleted or crumble feed, so all the nutrients are spread though the feed, and there's no way an individual can eat mostly one item.
I like Flock Raiser, with oyster shell on the side, for my birds.
Mary
That’s good information to know thank you!! do you or does anybody know where I can get organic feed pellets without soy? I’m allergic to soy.

There is another recent post on the forum where a lady was complaining that her chickens wouldn't eat corn. Several other people joined the discussion, some saying that theirs wolfed it down and others, that their birds would not touch it. It may be that your Buff was one of those that particularly liked it and got more than her fair share, essentially making most of her diet corn. I know it sounds a bit gruesome but it would have been interesting to see the contents of her crop from the necropsy.

I’m thinking that makes the most sense about the corn.

I am not going to go over my complete diet before and now but I can say I was spoiling them way to much previously and not providing the balanced diet they needed. You can read what I had been doing in my About Intro.

They were getting 1/2 oatmeal in the mornings with a little organic canned pumpkin and yogurt. In the evening i had been giving them some salad mix and cooked mixed vegetables. Along with about a cup of scratch tossed in their run daily. I have completely cut out the oatmeal, salad and vegetables. Cut their scratch down to 1/8 a cup.
Currently this is what I am feeding
Mornings.
  • 2 cups of fermented Scratch and Peck Layer Feed (for winter I have been adding 5% cracked corn)
Evenings.
  • 1/3 cup each of sprouted Wheat, Barley, Oats, and Peas. To this I have been adding a sprinkle of a homemade herb blend, fresh crushed garlic, and cayenne pepper
  • 1/8-1/4 cup scratch (amount depends on the day and their ability to free range)
All Day Available.
  • Scratch and Peck Layer Feed (5% cracked corn added for winter months)
  • Scratch and Peck Organic Herbs (blended with feed according to instructions)
Once Weekly
  • Tablespoon each of Organic Yogurt
Treats
  • 3/4 - 1 cup Grubs daily
  • Mixed Vegetables, Salad, or Fruit 1-2 times weekly
  • 4"x 4" Homemade Flock Block 1 a week
I realise that this isn't constructive, but Holy shoot. I just feed mine layer feed--and amish-lawnmower cut dandelions when they're locked up.

Cracked corn isn't supposed to contain nearly as much nutrition as whole corn does--just repeating what I read "somewhere" but it makes sense that the nutrients would degrade faster when the seed is broken open.

Mine absolutely love corn.

Also, the vet who said that sometimes they just die? Hogwash. There's always a reason. Good on you for finding it.

Since I was thirteen, I've written down the symptoms of every sick chicken I've had, and if I couldn't find the ailment then, I've identified it since so that I'm prepared. I really recommend the practice if you can't afford vet visits.

Very sorry to read this, I'm emotionally attached to my chickens and each one is very precious to me. I am glad that you where able to get some closer on this issue and maybe help you feel a little better about it. She had a severe issue nobody could have foreseen or prevented.

Back
Top Bottom