Update, Necropsy Results

I have been a veterinary technician for 35 years, I've seen a lot of young dogs/cats puppies/kittens die from something genetic/hereditary. There is nothing anyone can do about it. No predictors......

Its a sad thing and owners always feel guilty. This will pass and we will move on. Just know that while your little special chickie was here you gave her the best home she could have asked for :love
Thank you so much. Thank you!!!

I'm sorry for your loss. I for sure lost a 15 month old EE to fatty liver disease in 2016. I did the necropsy and posted pictures for more knowledgeable people to look at. She was out with all the other girls, fine at 6:00 PM, found dead at 6:30 PM. I MAY have lost a nearly 2 Y/O in 2014 of the same thing. Same lack of symptoms and fine at 8:30 AM, dead at 11 AM scenario. No necropsy was done.

I wouldn't overthink it. My guess is genetics are more likely the cause than diet. My girls (first 12 in June 2012, 7 more in 2015, 6 more in 2017) have ALWAYS had Poulin feed free choice, kitchen scraps and BOSS treats in the morning, scratch treat before bed. They free range when the ground is not snow covered. If FLD (in my flock!) were feed based I think I would have lost a lot more girls to it. If one is breeding their own replacements and find FLD in multiple chickens, I would not breed the chickens that have a parent that died of FLD. Of course I do NOT know that it is a genetic predisposition, it is just a guess.
Thank you, my guess too!!!

I have friends that can eat the SAME EXACT thing as me and they stay forever skinny (not more active than I am) while I am a little over weight AND have diabetes. Even from the same parent I see a fat twin and a skinny twin, or a pretty and an ugly one... I'm definitely not a geneticist either! But I do find it very intriguing since I started raising and breeding chickens. And completely agree not breed forward bad genetics.

With the calcium overload people talk about causing kidney failure in some... that is also a genetic predisposition.

I did just research if NAFLD (non alcoholic) was genetic or not. It appears that it can be but is ALSO heavily influenced by LIFESTYLE. Being at a higher risk for something doesn't mean you will develop it. With my diabetes (type 2 for more than 22 years now) I have a "higher risk" of developing heart disease, hypertension, and whole host of other things. Even though I binge sometimes and have some issues, my mother in law who "eats right" still has hypertension AND high cholesterol.

So I might go out on a limb and say that it could very well be a combination of lifestyle AND genetics.

How many sudden deaths that occurred from this cause were linked to "it just happens" or "it was probably a heart attack".

I never knew this was a possibility, but now it's on my radar! I wish there were more obvious symptoms. :barnie
:thumbsup

Thank you.
None of this makes sense first of all she was only 9 1/2 months old they say this happens in older chickens. Second of all she doesn’t or any of them get extra corn at all only what comes in their feed which is new country organics here is the ingredients .
http://www.newcountryorganics.com/s...-feed/layer-feed-50-pounds.html#product-tabs2
We give scrapes but almost all of them are green vegetables.
They also free range but haven’t lately because of snow and ice, but still go out in their run 20’ by 11’ and their coop is 11x16’
Makes no sense.
There is a lot of corn in that feed. Corn is the second ingredient. If I feed my chickens that. They pick out all the corn and only eat that. I would go to a straight layer pellet.

Back
Top Bottom