UPDATE on Page 2 - Storm Moving IN - WORRIED HELP

mommto3kiddos

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
We have a bad storm coming through late tonight. This is only the second night for my girls to be out in their new coop. They are using the ramp to the coop well and go in and out constantly! Im so nervous and thinking about going out and getting them and putting them in the brooder for the night, but my husband said they will be fine and need to learn to get in the coop and hunker down.. I know if they get in the coop they will be fine... UGH

What would you do???

Last edited:
Shove them in the coop and not let them be able to get out till the storm has passed. But if it was really bad and you would most likely need to hide somewhere for safety then take em with you.

They'll be fine. My birds roosted outside in the snow at a young age.
hu.gif
Chickens are suprisingly resilient, and probably will go in anyway if they don't like the rain. Mine love the rain...it makes the worms come up
lol.png

When we first let ours out in the run (when they were about 5 1/2 weeks) we were getting afternoon thunderstorms here. Before the rain started we would lock them in the coop until it stopped. I was worried to death that they were gonna blow away or something but they were fine.

I don't think we will get to crawling into the closet bad, but we are having high winds and some rain & thunder.. They are in the coop now so I might run out and shove something over the door to trap them in... hmmm

Last edited:
Storm coming through here tonight too (Mid TN) so I moved the chicks back in the brooder. They have been in the coop with the ramp pulled up so they can't get out into the run (ramp pulls up to seal the outlet) but I was afraid that being in the new coop and the storm would freak them out so they're in for the night.

i'm a total newbie but I would say if storm means possible tornadoes or high winds to wreck ur coop, i would bring them in...but that's just me and i am a worrier!
hu.gif

I also lock mine up at night. We are expecting rain too. I know they will be dry and cozy in there and wont have to worry that some dummy is sitting out in the run being rained on,lol. Make them all go in the coop and close them inside.

Quote:
We are middle TN too - same storm system.. I think Im just gonna ignore hubby and go get my girls...

They know what to do. Ours always run for cover bf a bad storm. Today it rained hard all day and those little halfwits were out there lovin it, soaking wet!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom