**UPDATE**Photos Silkie Roo or Hen?

suburbchick

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2015
I posted when my Bantam Silkie chick was 6 weeks and asked for opinions on gender. "Bob" was ordered as a female silkie sexed by MPC.

Here she/he is at age 11 weeks now...thoughts? He/She still towers over the other bantams....Roo or Hen?

The comb looks pretty big for a pullet. However, silkies are larger than many other bantams, which could be why it is taller.

He/she is a nice looking chicken!
thumbsup.gif

If I were judging it by its comb, I'd guess it was a cockerel. However, hatchery Silkies do tend to have larger combs and other things that throw me off when trying to sex them.

It could be a pullet, I'd hang on to it until other male indicators pop up (like streamers on the crest and crowing). If you really must know quickly, you could have it DNA sexed, which can be a bit pricey.
Good luck!

I personally believe it's a pullet. 4 months ago, I raised two Cochins and 1 Silkie. To me, the comb seems small, but not large enough to be a cockerel. As you said, it's a waiting game! :)

Really? That would be great!

I did check on him/her yesterday and there do appear to be some hairs leaning back out of the top of his/her head. You can see it in the third picture. Are those streamers or would they be more pronounced?

Here are a couple more pics...are those hairs leaning back early streamers or do pullets have those too?

Thank you, everyone!

Back
Top Bottom