UPDATE:*PICS** OF MY BOXES PAGE 2!* Thanks 4 the help. how many boxes?

tcwk

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
NW, PA
i have 7-10 girls and I'm building a coop for them now how many nest boxes do you suggest?

Last edited:
We have 2 nest boxes for 8 hens. This morning there were 2 hens in one nest box and the other one was empty. They don't all lay eggs at the same time, so you don't need one for each hen. They will use the nest box even if someone else has already laid an egg in it.

I'd give them 2, maybe add another if you have a frequently broody hen or if you encounter problems (we actually only need two ((6 hens)) but have four because ours all like laying in the morning).

ETA: quercus is right, even with many nest boxes we still find ours (sometimes 3 at a time!) smooshed into one box!

Last edited:
most recommend 1 for each 4-6 hens, but you will probably find that they will all lay in the same box.

Thanks so much for the help, I got an idea what i can do.

Ok I'm uploading pictures of what I have in mind for the boxes now.

I have this old cupboard and I'm thinking about cleaning it up then cutting 3 holes in the side of it big enough for the girls to get in, and mounting it on the wall of the coop with ledges next to the holes. To get the eggs all I will have to do is open it up (i will make a lip inside so nothing will fall out the front when i open it).

Comments on the idea please.

boxopenl.jpg

boxclosed.jpg

Thats what My DH and I did for an emergency coop! we were "gifted" 8 chickens last July-4 are left 3 hens and 1 roo...They use the bottom right cubboard to lay eggs the top to sleep and the left side is devoted to a heating lamp and food and water-they love it!! New coop in progress as we speak!

yeah, i was thinking about cutting holes on both sides and splitting it down the middle, do you think 6 boxes for 7-10 hens is overkill?

Quote:
Just a little, since in all probability they will all favor one. But hey, it's your coop! It can't do any harm, right? Just make sure the roost is higher than the highest nest box or they'll try roosting in the box (a major no-no).

Back
Top Bottom