Update: Respiratory Infection - Possible MG - More Deaths after Starting Antibiotics - Help!

magdelaine

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Inyokern, CA
Update 12/5:

Stats as of this morning
*First Death 2 weeks ago, most in the last week.
*12 birds I've identified as ill or deceased (More ill yesterday but I didn't do a count.)
*8 deaths
*2 better
*2 still ill
*4 died with no symptoms or only lethargy
*Symptoms include rales, lethargy, and slight paralysis
*Tetracycline has been given for the last 7 days
*New symptomatics and deaths after 4 days of meds
*Time from symptoms to death 0 to 24 hours, with most being about half a day.

This is my story so far:

I have a mixed flock of probably 60 chickens, about half of which are male.

I brought a young cockerel home, and less than a week later I found him dead. I did not quarantine! He was from down the road so it didn't occur to me...so kicking myself now. A day or two after he died I realized the cock he had been housed with was sick with something...he sounded congested. I separated him out and the next day I found that he had died as well. This was 11/24. On 11/28 I heard the raspy breathing from a cockerel in another pen and my heart sank...my chickens had something that was nasty and infectious. I separated him out. I noticed one of my 10 week pullets was also looking lethargic but I couldn't get her out of the pen she was in, so I figured she would probably expire...and she was dead the next morning. That day I found several more with symptoms, which is basically pneumonia. Gurgling rales, lethargy, only one with a little snot. I started everyone on Duramycin 10, force feeding the worst to ensure they got something on board. I'm happy to say that the next day there was marked improvement (and complete recovery in some) but the original cockerel was and is still struggling. The leghorn hen that sounded like a mewling kitten isn't making any noise at all now. I thought for sure I was going to lose her she sounded so bad.

Thing is, this sounds like MG. Before I freak out over that, I figure I should confirm. Barring another death, how to get them tested for MG? I can't spend a huge amount and there are no chicken vets around here.

I'm in CA, and I know about sending for necropsies at Davis, but not so much about testing live chickens.

Last edited:
Never mind on the testing, I have another death. Now I need to package and send it off. More looking sick today. Day 3 Duramycin.

Male has swollen ear lobe, but no respiratory symptoms.

Last edited:
It could also be infectious bronchitis. I know there is different strains of MG, but the one I have in my flock rarely causes death and the few that did die it was not that fast! I'm glad you are sending off for necropsy. It's great California does them for free. My state charges. Please update with the findings. If it comes back mycoplasma, look into denegard for treatment. If IB, I'm not familiar with the best treatment? Maybe tylan? In the mean time I would continue to treat every sick chicken with antibiotics and add a heat lamp or bring them somewhere warm. Also keep pushing fluids. Good luck!

It's continuing to run through my flock!

• The first cockerel to get sick (that didn't die) is hanging in there but now exhibiting a nasty, horrible sounding cough. First symptoms 11/28.
  • I've had 3 more deaths, about one a day, in the 10 weekers. One more in that pen is definitely not going to make it. The only symptom I'm seeing from this age is lethargy.
  • I have newly symptomatic adults in the main pen, developing after four days of antibiotics. Symptoms are rales and lethargy only.
  • Many others are perfectly healthy, but I'm seeing more huddled with piloerrection today.
  • Of the symptomatic birds, mortality is about 60%. 100% in symptomatic birds younger than 12 weeks.

What the heck do I have? I'm sending off for necropsies Monday, but this is breaking my heart.

I'm using tetracycline as the antibiotic...Tylan and Duragard are not available locally.

Last edited:
I'm sorry! Whatever it is it's nasty! I hope you get some answers soon! I'm glad you are sending off for a necropsy. Please update with the results.

In doing the write up for the necropsy, I realized that time from first symptoms to death for either symptomatic or deceased birds is 0 to 24 hours. That is very fast!

I think it's newcastle.

I have another 10 weeker that died today and a hen that went from well to paralyzed; she can't swallow. Her lungs sound clear. I expect her to expire in the next couple of hours. I also have a half dozen NEW ill birds. I'm just so devastated. I can't stop this.

Last edited:
OMG! I'm so sorry!
Possible mycoplasma synoviae? What other illness can cause respiratory and neurological? And that kills so fast? I wonder if you have more than one thing going on? Have you considered cocci as a secondary infection?

Sorry I missed the part where you said you thought Newcastle. I don't know anything about Newcastle. I'm about to go look it up.
Again I'm so sorry!

Back
Top Bottom