***UPDATE...sad***HELP!!! Rooster won't walk

WindyOaksYokes

Songster
12 Years
Jul 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Please help, I don't know what to do... I found one of my Golden bearded Polish roosters yesterday in the coop all by himself just laying there... yes he is alert... I picked him up and took him out of the coop to see what was wrong... When I set him on the ground, he started limping and not moving very fast... well... until... 3 other roosters attacked him... poor guy... they beat the u know what outta him. I ran chasing them off, and finally caught him... I seperated him from the others making a bed for him on my front porch.... When I went out there this morning to check on him... he wont move at all... wont even stand up. I really cant afford the vet and I have to kull a few of my roosters anyways, but he was one that I wanted to keep!!! Is there anything for me to do??? It does look to me as if he were attacked,... but I see no bite marks anywhere. He is alert and looks at me when I go out to check on him... and he is eating and drinking... is there anything that I can do for him???
Please Help...
Tes

Last edited:
I wish I could help, but my knowledge is limited. However, one of my ducks had a bad limp for aout a week and I just watched her and it did get better. I think you did the right thing by separating him from the others. If he was being picked on, maybe he just needs to rest and relax awhile. It's a good sign that he is still eating and drinking. I would just keep him separated and watch him for now. Have you checked him for injury under his wings or anything seemingly broken??

DH and I checked him everywhere... the only signs of anything is on his tail feathers... they look a little beaten up. As for any other place... no nothing, we checked every part of his body...picked up the wings, looked at his legs... moved them all and nothing seems outta place... I just went out there to check on him... and he is still laying there watching all the others walk around. oh yah... and normal poop. I just dont know what else to do!!

Tes

Well, I went back outside again to check on him... and the others had gotten to him and knocked him off of where he was.... I had to put him in a laundry basket and bring him in the house... I have nothing else to put him in. Right now, just laying here watching tv. I can not get him to stand up at all... what am I going to do with him... I know when DH gets up he is NOT going to let me keep him in here (might shock me.. but doubt it) I feel like a kid sneaking a puppy in my room LOL.) Help please....

Tes

you need to keep him separate tfrom the others...this will happen...he may have a head injury (like silkies polish often have "open" places in their skulls and a hard peck can cause brain inflammation)...that would account for the paralysis (and it seems the problem does have to do with him being attacked)... you must make sure he eats and drinks...dehydration will kill your bird QUICK... even if you cannot keep him in the house is there a way to protect him from the others...put on porch or such ... the others WILL continue to attack him in this state...
go to the drugstore and get a vitE/selenium combination (200-400 IU vit E /50 MICROgrams selenium>this is a human supplement and agway or almart carries or you can check at your drugstore) prick open tab and give in beak...also give 4 drops of POLYVISOL (liquid childrens vitamins) into beak daily for a week and then taper off... this might be enough to pull him through...

Since he is a polish chicken, I have to ask. Can he see? Or are his head feathers covering most of his eyes?

I just had to give my polish a haircut because he wasn't able to see enough to find the food. He was real weak and only weighed half of what he should have.

I gave him a hair cut and isolated him for the night. Gave him plenty to eat, V&E in his water and he was like a new bird by morning.

Take care and good luck.

Tami

Did you get my email? I agree with the haircut if he cannot see well. If he can't see, he also cannot see to escape aggressive birds or defend himself. He could have been picked on and come out on the short end of the stick. Hiding is a classic thing when they're being bullied, too.

okay, I have the vitamen E... always keep it on hand. He is completly seperated. He is staying in our room... DH didnt throw a fit like I thought he would and said I can keep him in here to watch him. He has tried in the past few minutes to stand after sleeping all day...I did not think his feathers were in the way at all... I could still see his eyes... but I did go ahead and trimmed it to make sure. His leg is a touch swollen but nothing major, so that tells me he did hurt his leg and I was right. He is still eating and drinking very well. but not vocal at all... I will just keep him in here til he gets better... wish I had a diaper LOL.

Thanks for all the information, I will let you know what happens.

Tes

PS Yes, I got your email. thank you cyn.

You can make a quick diaper out of a sweatsock...Cut holes for the legs and wings and make sure that the toe is where the ploop will come out...Line with a mini pad to catch the splort and you'll be cookin...

Thanks spottedcrow, when he starts getting up and walking more I will try it!

Update: Well he made it through the night. Still alert and eating, but still wont get up. I try to pick him up and his legs stay folded underneath him.
I do have another problem... since he is laying there, he is not really standing up to go poop... which means it is getting and staying on him... should I give him a bath? Or should I just keep cleaning that area like I have been?

Any ideas or help would be useful
Tes

Back
Top Bottom