**update** Sick Chicken--took To Vet

chickerdoodle

Songster
10 Years
Aug 21, 2009
Oregon
UPDATE:

I brought Miss Poppy back to the vet today thinking she would have a crop flush (or surgery) and upon re-exam and further discussion (I will leave out all the colorful poo descriptions) we both felt an x-ray was in order. The result was not good. Poppy's obstruction is not in her crop or gizzard. Its her intestines. She has a blockage which has caused a backup of food that goes quite a ways after the gizzard. There were other findings that signal a serious issue and yet her crop and gizzard are normal. The most likely cause? Lymphoid leukosis or possibly ovarian cancer. She highly suspects a cancer but since Poppy still looks so good, is vibrant and passing a small amount of solid droppings we decided to give her another chance. Fortunetly she can absorb all the nutrients in the hard cooked eggs I feed her which she eats heartily.

So I am going to start an anaerobic antibiotic and a strong laxative in the off chance its some weird anomaly and we can get it all moving again. This is typically seen in young birds 9 to 24 months. We are so sad as Poppy is so delightful even if she hasn't laid any eggs.
sigh.gif

********************************************************************************************************

ORIGINAL POST:

INFO on Poppy

Speckled Sussex Chicken (pullet) DOB: April 17, 2010
Diet: Cascade Organic Soy and Corn Free Mash = 85% of her diet
Organic baby greens = 10 % of her diet
5% of diet is a variation of BOSS, mealworms (usually air dried), other worms and slugs, rolled oats, and rarely organic corn. When fresh fruit and veggies are available they’ll usually get zucchini, tomatoes, sweet potatoes and raspberries.
Always have clean water, grit and oyster shell

Bedding; Hen house: Pine shavings Main Run: sand Side run: pea gravel They get to range and play in the grass in nice weather (rainy most of the winter)
We had some orchard hay in the nest boxes mixed with shavings but took all the hay out a few weeks ago.

Housing: 4x5 hen house with lots of ventilation and approximately 100 sq. feet of run for 5 chickens (slightly more than half is covered).
...............................................................................................................................
Early February I noticed Poppy not eating the morning moist mash as much but otherwise meandering, pecking and scratching and eating enough. Several days later I noticed her mumbling more than usual but she looked great and was active and eating plenty of the baby greens in front of me.

Around February 6 or 7th I noticed she still wasn’t partaking of the wet mash much (we have dry mash at all times in their hen house--the wet mash is placed in the run). I checked everyone’s crop--all felt the same--not soft not too hard with no smell from their beak’s.

She roosted fine and seemed active but just not quite herself--I was thinking she might be going broody? Neither my husband or I however, have seen her ever lay an egg. The other 4 girls are laying 5-6 eggs per week apiece.

I also noticed under their roost that someone was having brighter loose green droppings that really looked like ground up plant material and it had quite a bit of sand and grit in it. They get greens so I didn’t panic.

On Saturday morning, February 12, I noticed after I put her back in the coop (after checking her crop) she breathed with an open mouth. It took a couple of minutes to improve which I attributed to stress of me catching her (she tried hard to get away--flapping wings, etc.). Of course our other girls are easy to pick up as they do the rooster squat.
shame.gif

Sunday, February 13, I noticed her sitting in a spot she dug out in the pea gravel. I went over to her and she didn’t try hard to get away so I scooped her up and put her in a large dog crate I set up in the bathroom. Her comb was nice and red (it had paled slightly a week prior but got the color back the next day) and she was alert. I felt her crop and it really felt like she had some hay in it!
barnie.gif
It was not overly full so I massaged her crop after I gave her 1cc of olive oil and some ACV. I offered her a tablespoon of plain yogurt and she ate it heartily. The next day she was alert and her crop practically empty. I massaged her again and she started to breath open mouthed for what seemed like a couple of minutes. She then was fine and still had a nice red comb. More yogurt and some rolled oats (easy to digest).

Monday she was fine until I took her out of the crate (she always struggles a bit) and she again breathed open mouthed and sneezed with some head shaking. I now was worried about a respiratory problem. She still ate rolled oats and yogurt really well. She ignored her mash.
healer.gif

The entire time she had smelly green (like plant material) droppings.
sickbyc.gif
They got a little more substance when she ate the oats.

I took her to the Avian Medical Center who treat chickens as well as other birds. I had her droppings (normal one and cecal) tested at the Avian Medical Center and they were both negative. They did an exam on her. The vet said that her problem was that she was too fat! She said they get out of breathe when stressed like an obese person walking up stairs does. She also said she may have a mid pneumonia now and that's why she gave me a week's worth of clavamox 62.5 mg. (antibiotic) twice daily to give her. She said the smelly droppings are from too much protein and not to give her anything but her dry mash. I was so pleased that I didn't have to euthanize her
confetti.gif
that I took the pills and went home feeling better. Today though, it seems to me that these symptoms (plant material poo, lots of grit and sand in it, lack of eating her favorite wet mash, etc.) is indicative of something else too.

Also--pilling her is nearly impossible!!
4fvgdaq_th.gif
If hidden in a treat she eats the treat and literally spits it back out! She doesn't allow anything but narrow foods in her beak --except mealworms (yeah--tried that too). I finally got it in her when she got a bit stressed and opened her own mouth to breathe (I did wait until it was almost normal again).

ANY ideas??? Any slick pilling methods?? Any prayers to help me?? We really love our Poppy and want her better!!!

Last edited:
Only good compliace we've had (roo on Cephalexin and 81mg chewable aspirin - grape addict):

262_chookmedroute1.jpg

262_chookmedroute2.jpg

Might try `damp' mealworms with powdered med on them.

Thanks for the complete info. Wish you the best of luck!

I really appreciate your ideas.
128fs318181.gif
Poppy however does not like fruit--of any kind! No grapes, raspberries (we grow some organic ones and only 1 chicken likes them), bananas, etc. She will not eat scrambled eggs either--I tried that first! Darn her!!
barnie.gif
I tried putting crushed mealworm on the pill but she picked every teeny, tiny piece (and some were tiny) of the mealworm and left the pill. Oh, the pill is small too--less than half the size of an aspirin.

I came home this afternoon and she looks a bit sad to me. Her wings are a little droopy and she made a sad noise when I went in to talk to her because I figure she's lonely. My poor sweet little Poppy, I hope the meds help her.
sigh.gif

We had a sick girl recently (not a happy ending). Yogurt worked for us initially. She stopped eating the pill after a couple of days and the vet gave us a liquid version of the med to squirt down her throat. she didn't like it, but it worked. Good luck. It's so hard to see them not feeling well.
hugs.gif

Poor Poppy, I remember I had a sick roo and I ended up putting the pill in his mouth and keeping his mouth closed and stroking his neck till he swallowed it. I have also crushed up pills and mixed them in yogurt.

Bright green poo is not good. It means she's not eating or not eating enough, like starving. I had a hen who did that, turns out she had a bunch of junk in her crop, like sticks and weeds. It took a week of oil/message/soft food to get it going, and I ended up massaging her crop every night in the coop to keep things moving. Keep feeding alot of soft stuff like egg, yogurt, soaked bread, etc until she's not pooping lime green anymore.

I've had a chicken starve because the others taught her that she was not allowed to have feed! Even alone she would not eat from the feeder. I feed her with some bantams now. Right now I have a roo that was doing lime green and turns out his pen-mates taught him not to eat the feed. I removed him and let him free range, and leave food for him. I hope he starts eating more. I'm waiting for that lime green color to go away.

Good luck!

Seminole wind--the vet said she is too fat! I do however, have food in two places--far apart--just in case one gal is chased away (we have only 5 chickens). I am getting the pill down the same as you did--put directly in her throat and making sure it goes down.

So sorry about your loss New Chick.
consoling2.gif

I also read bright green poo is bad but it had actual ground up plant material in it with lots if grit and sand (we have a sand run). I initially thought something like the orchard hay was in her crop. I took away the hay and it is never to return, ARGGG. Her droppings are a darker green now but still like plant material green. When I felt her keel bone I thought she was too thin but the vet said too fat! I am waiting for the vet to call back--they said after 5PM (Pacific Time) I AM SO CONFUSED AND WORRIED.
17.gif

Do you have a scale in the house? Put her on it and let us know her weight. Green poo is bile and usually a sign that the chicken is starving.

For a speckled under 5 pounds I would say she is starving. She has all the symptoms.

Please do not give her anymore worms or slugs. Please do not give oats either unless they are well cooked.

Somehow get her to eat. I know you said she does not like scrambled eggs but make some anyway with chopped greens in them. No whole greens. Give her chopped cooked pasta, yogurt and applesauce. Anything smooth and soft that her crop will not have to break down. Plenty of water even if you have to use a dropper to drop the water one drop at a time on the top of her beak. Let the water slowly roll down her beak into her mouth so she can swallow it. Make sure you go slow so she doesn't inhale.

One thing my girls like when they are sick is plain cheerios mixed with the yogurt or applesauce. Mix them together 20 min before feeding so the cereal gets soft.

Has she ever had hay? Ever used hay for bedding?

I don't think she has pnemonia I think she has an impacted crop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom