*Update - Unsuccessful Spay. Anyone have experience with Suprelorin implant and/or spay? Egg yolk pe

She did it! She did it!
wee.gif
Sweetpea laid a perfect egg. Ran an errand, came back, and there it was!

As far as the others, I've baked and crushed eggshells, and they are eating them. I sprinkled them on the ground, near the barn, and that's the first place they all go when I let them out to forage in the evening. I decided to put them in the container their oyster shell was in. I'm having to refill it every few days. Egg laying is back to normal levels. I don't know that the eggshells did the trick, but I am relieved that things are going better. Yesterday, I finely ground some eggshells in the food processor and put about two cups in their remaining feed (about a half of a 50 lb bag). I'll update later.

BTW, Sweetpea stopped ovulating for awhile when we kept her in a darkened room for much of the day and she finally molted. She's over 2 years old and had never molted. None of the Golden Comets have. I think they may have been bred to be that way. A neighbor gave them to us when the grandkids got tired of them. I will never willingly get Golden Comets again (except to rescue them like that), although they have been very sweet. and quiet. Our Rhode Island Reds also have molted only under duress or the "force" of darkness... one after "hatching" eggs (we slipped babies under her when she was broody), one in a shock molt after a dog attack, and the third after we kept her in a dark room (humanely let outside several times a day) for a week. The Black Australorps and Ameracaunas molt every year.

Regarding the hormone therapy like the pill, I wonder if the acid environment in the crop would affect its efficacy. I wish they would come out with something like that, but the egg industry, where all the pharmaceutical revenue is, would have no need for that, therefore, the companies wouldn't find it worth getting approval for that use. On the other hand, owners of expensive "ornamental" birds are very vested in their birds, and might be willing to pay for it. Thank you for bringing this idea up. I'm going to research a bit and see what I can find.

Quote:
DUMOR layer pellets:
Calcium (Ca) (min.) 3.80%, Calcium (Ca) (max.) 4.80%,

www.poultryindustrycouncil.ca/pdfs/factsheets/fs_133.pdf (found no date for this):
"The most common source of calcium for layer feeds is limestone. Consisting primarily of calcium carbonate, this mineral supplement is well digested by the chicken. It is important to realize that the limestone is broken down into calcium ions and carbonate ions: it cannot be transported into the blood stream intact. And when it is synthesized to form the egg shell, the calcium and carbonate ions must be recombined to become the calcium carbonate of the egg shell. Although the hen is capable of digesting the limestone, the process is by no means perfect. In fact, the best that can be expected is 50 - 60 % retention of the calcium in the feed. Therefore, to ensure the retention of 2.5 g of calcium daily, 4.0 - 4.5 g must be fed in the diet."

So, at the minimum of the DUMOR feed, (3.8) ,it may be a bit low, hence the need for supplemental calcium free choice, and at the maximum, (4.8), it should be adequate. I did find another article (or maybe it was cited in one of these studies), that calcium in steam produced pellets was more available.

http://www.scopemed.org/?jid=73&iid=2013-3-7.000
"Findings of this study demonstrated that dietary limestone increased egg production feed intake and improved feed conversion ratio, therefore could be included in laying hen diet as a satisfactory calcium source. None of (I think they mean "neither" ) limestone or oystershell had negative effects on egg shell quality traits." (However, they cited previous studies that concluded that larger oyster shell pieces stayed in the gizzard longer, releasing calcium into the bloodstream more slowly)

Last edited:
Yes! I have read the importance of large pieces of oystershell remaining in the crop for a slower, steadier absorption BUT... there are hens who will not touch it regardless of its availability. I was also told by my vet that bonemeal is another alternative for calcium supplementation but have not tried this yet...

I also feed ground eggshells to the girls. Some like the egg shells, other ignore them. It's a matter of personal taste.

Last edited:
I'm mixing the two (oyster shell and egg shells) in their indoor calcium feeder since I found that research. Egg laying is back up to 11/day from 17 hens 2 years and older. No idea if that is the cause or something else, but very relieved. I'm finding Sweetpea in the nest box regularly, laying very nice eggs. All eggs now have sturdy shells. About half the girls still make a beeline when it's foraging time for the place outdoors that I sprinkle the eggshells.

Sorry to read stories that end sadly.

So we have read about spaying and implants but has anyone done any research on Birth Control for birds?.....or is that a question for my Stupid Questions Thread?

Ovulation can be controlled hormonally in mammals. Rather than risk spaying, perhaps there is a hormone that can stop egg laying.

I love that with all the threads about increasing egg productivity, here we are discussing ways to keep our girls from ever laying again!

I sure wish there was a birth control pill for chickens. It would be so much easier and cheaper than an implant.

I love that with all the threads about increasing egg productivity, here we are discussing ways to keep our girls from ever laying again!

I sure wish there was a birth control pill for chickens. It would be so much easier and cheaper than an implant.

Ellie is still laying but not too frequently. I have her body posture down to a science so that I know about a day and a half in advance when she will be laying. At that time, I give her 1/2 a dose of the Cal-Nate and the other half the next day. Yesterday morning around 5:30am. I actually watched as she frantically tried to find a place to lay. She was out of her box. I know she couldn't jump to get back in at that point so I picked her up and placed her inside. I was amazed at how hard she had to strain to get the egg out. She really struggles with it. It took about 6 "pushes" for it to drop out. The eggs and shells are perfect but she's so uncomfortable during the entire time that the egg is being formed. Ellie slows down quite a bit and loses interest in many of the activities that she otherwise enjoys.
She has been healthy since our episode in May but I really do have to keep an eye on her! I do not look forward to the colder months but I do look forward to Ellie's comb shrinking and the egg laying to cease until the Spring!

PS: All the babies have names now. The little chick with the bad leg (Mimi) is doing well. The "good" leg seems to have caught up with the length of the "bad" leg. However, the bad leg is twisted. She rests with it sticking straight out to the side. I have noticed that the toes on her good leg are curling so I made a chick sandal to keep her toes apart. So far, so good.

Last edited:
Yes, @kculbert , there is birth control for birds. There is a chemical that is used to control pigeon populations in cities. It results in the eggs being unable to hatch, so it's of no use to @Luvmy9hens and others who were looking into spaying.

Since sunlight is such a major egg laying stimulus, I wonder if you could keep the hens in a dark place for longer periods during the summer.

The lack of vitamin D from sunshine resulting in the lack of calcium absorption was the cause of thin-shelled eggs... and a near fatal infection from the membrane remaining inside Ellie for about a week. I have been told that indoor chickens need full spectrum lighting. I also give Cal-Nate as needed about once a week.

I would check the fact about full spectrum lights stimulating Vitamin D production in chickens @Luvmy9hens . Just because a pet store sells them to reptile owners doesn't necessarily mean they will be helpful to chickens. In humans vitamin D is produced by the skin when exposed to sunlight. I don't know where it is produced in chickens but I know it's not produced in their feathers, so that basically leaves their feet, comb and beaks. Vitamin D can be purchased as a pill or a powder. I would add this to the chickens food rather than depend on a full spectrum light, if VitaminD is the issue.

This maybe a question that is deviated from the original thread, but I was trying to follow an advice to keep my hen in the dark to "force" molting so she wouldn't need to lay. Since she'd been laying and now, I'm suddenly putting her in the dark for a couple of hours every other day, would this cause her to lay eggs with no shell? I guess I'm thinking that if she's already has an egg inside that's needed to have a shell developed, and I'm limiting the light (both natural light and indoor lighting), that may not be a good idea since the egg will break inside, without having the proper vit. D to help forming the egg shell. Anyone has any comment on that?

That's an interesting question. Most commercial chicken feeds have adequate vitamin D. There are also chicken supplements you could give if you would like to. Just don't overdose her on the fat soluble vitamins. I think the dark needs to be consistent (not constant!) to force a molt. I'm not sure of the hours of light, necessary, but I've kept them in the dark/semi-dark for all but about 9 hours/day. So, 15 hours of dark. I've done this with two, one who had peritonitis, who has just now relapsed, and one who lost most of her feathers from a Giardia infection.

Back
Top Bottom