Updated EE chick pics

moodlymoo

Songster
8 Years
Aug 23, 2011
Portland OR
I really have no idea on gender. I have posted here many times and get seriously mixed answers. I took them back to the farm I got them from and the breeder was quite unsure too so I had another chicken breeder sex them and AGAIN he was quite unsure. Why are these kids so hard to sex? My other 2 EE's were the easiest to sex out of all of my birds. Please help me decide

Chick 1 is about 9 weeks old
IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

Chick 2 is 10 weeks old
IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

#1 is a roo...patchy coloring and I believe there is some brownish color coming in on the wings.

#2 looks like a pullet, but with the comb being pink like that it makes me wonder.

I cant have them be roo's. See, the patchy coloring is on both. There are NO saddle feathers on either one. I know #2 looks like it has them but they are more like broken feathers. I am really stressed about these kids. I wish there was an easy way to tell other than waiting for a crow.

repost pics when they are around 15 weeks but the 1st looks pullety to me in some of the pics while in the 1st pic it looks rooish with that comb and the 2nd rooish with the comb being so red

Quote:
They are both WAY too young to have saddle feathers coming in yet so the only way to tell right now is by their coloring and how pink their combs are. Three rowed combs on EEs don't always mean boy though because I have a definite girl that has had a three rowed comb since about 5 weeks. Girls are more evenly patterned and the boys are more splashy, usually with some red or other bright color on their wings (but not always). That first one you have is a roo...I am certain of it. The second one is harder to guess because it's colors are in a more even pattern, but if it is feathering out patchy instead of evenly colored then most likely the second one is a roo also.

Quote:
They are both WAY too young to have saddle feathers coming in yet so the only way to tell right now is by their coloring and how pink their combs are. Three rowed combs on EEs don't always mean boy though because I have a definite girl that has had a three rowed comb since about 5 weeks. Girls are more evenly patterned and the boys are more splashy, usually with some red or other bright color on their wings (but not always). That first one you have is a roo...I am certain of it. The second one is harder to guess because it's colors are in a more even pattern, but if it is feathering out patchy instead of evenly colored then most likely the second one is a roo also.

x2

You beat me to it Bloom
smile.png

Both boys. #1 for SURE #2 95% sure. I haven't seen too many pullets that are white and black patterned like that. Not saying it CAN'T happen because I have had ONE, but she was mostly white with some black "splashing". And I've raised probably 300 or so EEs over the past few years. Take it for what its worth, 2 cents
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom