UPDATED:Hatching while I'm on the road! (PICS ADDED 2/13! PG2)

Ellie_NY_chick

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
Finger Lakes, NY
I'm travelling for work and my Silkies eggs are hatching - yikes! I can't get home until Monday. One hatched yesterday afternoon and is under Momma, and I got a text at 6AM saying another hatched overnight.

And get this: Momma is awhite Silkie and Daddy is either a white Silkie/Cochin or a golden laced OEG and both babies are all black! What gives?

idunno.gif

Last edited:
CONGRATS on the babies
celebrate.gif
celebrate.gif

That stinks that your not there
barnie.gif

Yes, pics when you get home would be great
wee.gif

Well I'm home and they are adorable and not quite all black, but no white ones (dammit)! The culprit was obviously the OEG roo. Some babies are all black and some are black with a little red /gold in their feathers. Half have clean legs and half have feathered legs. We have eight inside now and one outside, plus two eggs that the Sumatra is sitting on, which I'm pretty sure are no gos. I'll let her sit on them until the weekend and then I'll dispose of them.

I'm hoping Santa brings me a camera, but either way I'll get pics posted soon. The size difference between the ones hatched Friday and the ones hatched Monday is amazing.

Oh, and judging from the fact that some are ALREADY sprouting little combs and tail feathers, I thinking half of these little buggers are roos!

Merry Christmas, or whatever Winter Soltice-related holiday you celebrate!

yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom