**Updated** Sebright attacked by hawk. Possible back injury?

WTCluck16

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 1, 2014
Hi. My sebright who is usually indoors was outside today getting some sunshine. I was in/out doing chores. I heard a commotion, ran out and she was being dragged off by a large bird. I scared it off and it dropped her. She's injured and not likely to make it, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice, other than to cull her. Please.

She is breathing calmly. She had a small amount of blood coming from her nose, which stopped shortly. She also had blood coming from her ear area on both sides. I'm assuming she has a head injury with possible brain swelling. Her eyes are closed and appear to be slightly swollen. But she can open them.

I got her comfortable, and gave her some asprin and syringed her some pedialyte. About 20 minutes later I realized I have some liquid prednisolone, so I gave her some of that too. (probably not the best to mix with asprin, but I figure she's not likely to make it, and I'm doing my best to bring down brain swelling.) I also put some neo/poly/dex eye ointment on her eyes, and ear areas.

I have baytril on hand, and can give her that too, but I feel like I may have already overloaded her.

She is standing on her own, but is weak. Any advice is much appreciated. She's my baby, and I'm overwhelmed with regret over letting her out and allowing this to happen. thanks.

Hi. My sebright who is usually indoors was outside today getting some sunshine. I was in/out doing chores. I heard a commotion, ran out and she was being dragged off by a large bird. I scared it off and it dropped her. She's injured and not likely to make it, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice, other than to cull her. Please.

She is breathing calmly. She had a small amount of blood coming from her nose, which stopped shortly. She also had blood coming from her ear area on both sides. I'm assuming she has a head injury with possible brain swelling. Her eyes are closed and appear to be slightly swollen. But she can open them.

I got her comfortable, and gave her some asprin and syringed her some pedialyte. About 20 minutes later I realized I have some liquid prednisolone, so I gave her some of that too. (probably not the best to mix with asprin, but I figure she's not likely to make it, and I'm doing my best to bring down brain swelling.) I also put some neo/poly/dex eye ointment on her eyes, and ear areas.

I have baytril on hand, and can give her that too, but I feel like I may have already overloaded her.

She is standing on her own, but is weak. Any advice is much appreciated. She's my baby, and I'm overwhelmed with regret over letting her out and allowing this to happen. thanks.

Give her a chance. I wish I could find the thread about a chicken that got her beak ripped off and head wounds-really bad but she made it. Maybe someone knows where the thread is. That chicken's name is fuzzy bum.

Give her a chance! I've got one I'm nursing now that was attacked by a hawk. We have her isolated from the main flock, gave her antibiotics in her water for a week, and she gets a daily spraying of Vetericyn (sp?). She is doing great and is very vocal and fiesty...and now spoiled! I'm came on here to post some pictures of her and her leghorn sister that we're recuperating from a coyote attack! Dang predators! Never give up on them, these chickens are fighters!

Thank you! I'm not giving up on her. She is standing well now, and even hopped up onto the arm of the recliner. She occasionally opens her eyes. I got advice from the vet I used to work for to continue giving her 1ml prenisolone twice a day for a few days, then taper the dose off. I will start her on antibiotics tomorrow.

What would be best to syringe feed her? And should I continue to syringe her unflavored pedialyte?

We are willing to put a lot of effort into making her better. She was moved from our flock to inside our house b/c she was being severely picked on by the rest of our bigger chickens. She was always my favorite, but we have become very attached since moving her indoors a few months ago.

Your local feed store may have some baby bird food that will be good for her. Pedialyte is good for her and does wonders for her hydration, but in less she's had it regularly I would recommend diluting it slightly.

By the way , there's the thread Justplainbatty mentioned: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/848424/plese-help-chickens-beak-got-bit-off

I'm so sorry for what you're going through and for what she's going through, but chicken sometimes have a amazing resilience and she might surprise you! :hugs

Your local feed store may have some baby bird food that will be good for her. Pedialyte is good for her and does wonders for her hydration, but in less she's had it regularly I would recommend diluting it slightly.

By the way , there's the thread Justplainbatty mentioned: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/848424/plese-help-chickens-beak-got-bit-off

I'm so sorry for what you're going through and for what she's going through, but chicken sometimes have a amazing resilience and she might surprise you!
hugs.gif

Thanks for finding that thread! It's such an uplifting and amazing story about the will to live!

Thanks everybody. She is doing very well. After 2 doses of prednisolone yesterday, this morning she was doing very well. I will continue the pred for a few days, then taper her off of it.

She is eating on her own, and is back to her usual self, only a tiny bit wobbly, but nothing substantial. The swelling around her eyes has gone down completely, and her eyes look great.

I think she's one lucky chicken!

I started her on antibiotics this morning too, just in case. So far so good! I'm so happy. This outcome was definitely not expected! :D :D

Back
Top Bottom