Upgrade for Little Giant

lifeteacher

Chirping
7 Years
May 12, 2015
North GA
Can I add a fan to my Little Giant Still Air Incubator? I had a terrible hatch rate and I think since the newer model has the heating element in the middle instead of going around, moving the air would make a big difference. What do you think?

Can I add a fan to my Little Giant Still Air Incubator? I had a terrible hatch rate and I think since the newer model has the heating element in the middle instead of going around, moving the air would make a big difference. What do you think?

Sure. I have added fans to every Styrofoam I use. Put it where is will move the air the best, always leaving space behind it where it can draw good.

I have the 10300. It has the new style heater and fan.

Since the element for heating is not truly centered even with the fan there are still hot and cold spots in the corners.

The newer style may be better than the old style but it still takes a lot of monitoring to get a good hatch. At least mine does.

Maybe others have had better luck with theirs.

What type of fan do you use?

I use a 3" 12 volt dc fan and hook it to a 9 volt dc little power pack----similar to a cell phone charger----most people have some of then laying around. I hook it to the 9volt charger to slow the fan speed down. I have used/removed a fan out of a old computer, and other items I always watch for at yard sales etc. You can buy a new one on line or Radio Shack. You can buy spacers or cut some out of a hard plastic supply line for a sink etc to space the fan away from the Styrofoam. about 1/2" is enough, get some small bolts that will go through the holes in the fan with nuts and ---using a wider washer with a small hole on the Styrofoam so the head of the bolt does not try to pull through. I snug the bolts up then dab a little finger nail polish on the threads/nut for a lock tite----a Little is all it takes.

Back
Top Bottom