Jul 5, 2022
Lexington nc
Hey y'all. I'm so glad ya r here. My Muscovy Drake, Mr scovy, and the love of his life, mo, (yes she's a hen, but the top of her head looks like mo from the 3 stooges 🤷🏻‍♀️) have been with us for about 2 years. The first year they were in lots, the 2nd year we turned em loose and let them free range. They don't like humans at all, so they wouldn't come to us to be put back up, EVER. We have now put them all back in lots, better lots and more room. One Muscovy hen, Lillie, just had 9 babies so it's just been the one Drake and hen for a while now. Mr scovy is mad and he does not like to be cooped up, I'm guessing this is the issue, but he hasn't been eating since we moved them to the new, bigger, better lot. We had them 2 in a smaller lot for a few weeks, and they seemed ok, except for the normal evil looks I get from them. We now have a bigger more predator proof lot for them all. We split the lot in half and have our 9 chickens, and 7 ducks in one side (which is bigger than the scovy side) and the 2 scovys have their own space. Our ducks are rude and obnoxious and I keep seeing them staring at the scovys through a hole in the fence that seperates them, which can be fixed, but I'm not sure why the scovys ain't eating. Mr scovy even flies over the gate and goes to the chicken and duck side and hangs out sometimes. Any ideas on what I can do to make them happy again? I can't stand to see him so upset. And how do I know when Lillie is done raising her babies and ready for them to be on their own? They were hatched oct 13 and she just started going to one end of the lot and leaving them in their house. Before she was right with them all the time. Does that mean she's ready to turn em loose? And do I need to wait till they r full grown before introducing them to the full grown Muscovies? Mr scovy and mo have attitude 🤷🏻‍♀️ probably why I love them so much. Mo doesn't take any crap from anybody. I don't know why we can't just all get along 🙄🤦🏻‍♀️

From my experience with having a mama Muscovy and ducklings it's best to introduce the mama and ducklings to the rest of the flocks before mama is finished raising them with fencing in between so no one gets hurt. I'd say from what you have described mama is ready for them to be on their own. But if you introduce them to the rest of the flock for at least a week before turning them all out together things should go better. The ducklings need to learn to stay away from the drake if he acts aggressively and some do and will kill ducklings. Some are like my Muscovy drake he gives mama and ducklings a wide birth. You just never know how they will react to new flock members. Same with female Muscovy some can be pretty nasty to ducklings that aren't theirs. Chickens can be bratty too. So always supervise at first.
When you say lot do you mean pens? any changes we make to their lives whether it's food or where they are hanging out during the day and night means they need to have time to get used to something different . Ducks don't like change. So just keep their feed and water with them and hopefully, Mr. scovy will settle down and feel comfortable in his in lot.

From my experience with having a mama Muscovy and ducklings it's best to introduce the mama and ducklings to the rest of the flocks before mama is finished raising them with fencing in between so no one gets hurt. I'd say from what you have described mama is ready for them to be on their own. But if you introduce them to the rest of the flock for at least a week before turning them all out together things should go better. The ducklings need to learn to stay away from the drake if he acts aggressively and some do and will kill ducklings. Some are like my Muscovy drake he gives mama and ducklings a wide birth. You just never know how they will react to new flock members. Same with female Muscovy some can be pretty nasty to ducklings that aren't theirs. Chickens can be bratty too. So always supervise at first.
When you say lot do you mean pens? any changes we make to their lives whether it's food or where they are hanging out during the day and night means they need to have time to get used to something different . Ducks don't like change. So just keep their feed and water with them and hopefully, Mr. scovy will settle down and feel comfortable in his in lot.
Yes ma'am, lots are pens, but it does have a roof and we r working on walls. We have this real thick black material that they use for new construction houses for walls right now. 6 of the 8 ducklings have a home with my fiances sister, but I just worry about hurting the momma's feelings or upsetting the mom or babies. I know I sound crazy, but I can't help it. I don't wanna hurt them in any way, emotionally, physically, or mentally. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I don't really know how I'm supposed to let them go. I am so afraid she will sale them for food or something. She said she wouldn't but I can't help but think about that stock sale (live food market💔😥) it was horrible. I just want them to all live long healthy happy lives. I'm a hot mess. She's supposed to come get them tomorrow, and I'm already starting to cry and worry myself to death. 🥺😭 I can't help myself. I just wanna keep em all, but we can't. 😭😭😭

Thank you so much for your help miss Lydia. You're a lifesaver. 😘💐🦆🦆🦆

The mama will be okay the duckings are going on 3 months old so they are ready to be part of the flock. To keep this from happening again take all eggs up don't leave them out where they can brood them. Mine will even brood on nothing. As for the fiances sister. All you can do is try and get her to promise. Does she have facilities to take care of the ducklings. she needs to know how to care for them and that is where you come in.
I know how hard it is to let them go that is why I don't let mine hatch when they want.

Fiances sister is the person who got my chicken and duck addiction started. She gave me my first 2 roosters, then 4 hens, and then my precious little baby duck, Ms. McPoodles. 😍 But honestly, I'm so shocked at how little people know about chickens and ducks. I Google everything. I'm like "am I the only one that freaks out and researches everything I can find when one isn't acting right? Or if I'm not sure about something?" But then I found u guys, and life is a little easier. Sometimes, I feel like an expert when talking to other people. It's like they know nothing, and I'm like how do your chickens and ducks even stay alive?!? Pics are Ms. McPoodles right now, all grown and fat and sassy, and her as a teeny weenie little sweet adorable baby 😍

Attachments

• 16727062168135742512816952869060.jpg
    16727062168135742512816952869060.jpg
    471.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210821_232957392.jpg
    IMG_20210821_232957392.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 7
We learn so much from caring for our little ones but having a place like BYC really helps us know there are others that have learned more than us. I try to use my experiences with my own flock to help if I can and many others do too. And that is what makes you special what all you have learned your able to share with others. We are always learning. These little things sure do get into our hearts don't they?

Omg they have snatched my heart out and run away with it. I get so frustrated when I hear "it's just a duck, or it's just a chicken". I don't care, it's a living breathing creature, that has a soul. U can't tell me they don't, look in those eyes, u can see it. Maybe that's why I love animals so much, and people frustrate me. They have no compassion for anything else but themselves. Except for y'all fellow feathery flock lovers. 😘🦆🦆🐣🐤🐥🐓🐔. I've even been outside for the last 4 hours standing guard because we keep hearing a fox close by. I don't like to kill anything. I don't want to kill anything. I will usually catch a spider and take it outside, but when it comes down to my flock, I'll do what I have to do, but it still hurts my heart because they have souls too. We were all put here to live in harmony, except when something tries to eat my family. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom