Urgent!! 🆘

B_Chickle01

Songster
Nov 11, 2020
Stephentown,Ny
I have a question.. what exactly are these marks all over my boys comb?! The ones at the tip of him comb look odd.. Im all nervous now because he's under the weather so had him out earlier to sit with me to ensure he was getting water and eating and he was mouth breathing and that’s when I noticed a bunch of little bump like rash appearance inside lower beak! Im going to try and see if I can get a better pic of it cause the ones I took earlier were poor quality. The very first photo (attached below) and very last are same photo.. I just zoomed in and posted the close up of what I happened to notice in eye in first pic. What is that? Any insight is very much appreciated!

Attachments

• 29A27227-26A3-4346-94B8-5AB0DDD338AE.jpeg
    29A27227-26A3-4346-94B8-5AB0DDD338AE.jpeg
    582 KB · Views: 7
  • 18506CDF-BFF7-4402-AC3D-0F32389D7440.jpeg
    18506CDF-BFF7-4402-AC3D-0F32389D7440.jpeg
    612 KB · Views: 3
  • 97FCA142-9D10-4385-BC0C-7E16FA15BDEC.jpeg
    97FCA142-9D10-4385-BC0C-7E16FA15BDEC.jpeg
    359.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 562AFB06-852F-43C0-A318-B27E5C772B12.jpeg
    562AFB06-852F-43C0-A318-B27E5C772B12.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 2
I'm thinking fowl pox. It's viral, so they'll just have to get over it. If there are lesions in his beak, you'll have to keep an eye on it. If the lesions in his beak start to get in the way of eating and drinking, I *think* you can remove them/scrape them off. It'll run its course in a couple of weeks.

Super contagious, so your whole flock will get it. It can be dangerous if it clogs their throats. It can also be devastating for chicks. Unfortunately, there's no treatment.

I'm thinking fowl pox. It's viral, so they'll just have to get over it. If there are lesions in his beak, you'll have to keep an eye on it. If the lesions in his beak start to get in the way of eating and drinking, I *think* you can remove them/scrape them off. It'll run its course in a couple of weeks.

Super contagious, so your whole flock will get it. It can be dangerous if it clogs their throats. It can also be devastating for chicks. Unfortunately, there's no treatment.
I had a feeling! Whats odd is it looked like this when field inspector from Dept of AG came for testing and I pointed it out to her and asked what the tips were they seem old looking and she said frost bite. It didnt appear as such. Im going to get a better look in a min but what I saw inside bottom beak didn't look anything like photos of lesions due to fowl pox. What is this in corner on his eye? Hes very lame and has no balance..fowl pox can do this? This is first time Ive ever witnessed any thing along these lines in person especially within my own flock

Also wanted to add..I live in NY.. doesnt it seem unlikely its fowl pox because of being in middle of winter? Or not necessarily.

My birds just had pox, and some looked like this. But it could be pecking wounds. It was the thing in his beak that made me think pox.

Either way, there's no treatment, and things will clear up on their own.

Some tips of his comb seem frostbitten, the one in front has either been bitten off or came off by itself after frostbite.

The other smaller lesions might be from pecking or insect bites.

In any case, I would check him over very carefully, as he might have been attacked by an unsuccessful smaller predator. It is easy to miss the lesions underneath the plumage.

Please, post a picture of the inside of his beak, lower part and upper part too.

Back
Top Bottom