*Urgent* Chick Becoming Weaker

EggPlanter

Songster
May 21, 2015
View attachment 1846532 Hi BYC! I have had this chick in the Incubator for a couple days to dry and fluff, but he/she has failed to do so. Now he/she seems to be getting progressively weaker. How can I help him/her? I also tried to give the chick some water thinking it might help, but now I fear it may be choking somewhat on it.

The chick is dry even if it's down looks mucky. What day did it hatch on?

Was it ever able to stand on it's own? Where's the other chicks?

If you access to poultry nutri drench, I would direct dose it to the beak a few times over the next hour.

If not a little sugar water for some energy... I hold the chick in my hand, beak facing the bend in my forefinger. Drip a small drop just below the nostrils, the bend in my finger helps direct it. When it rolls around into the beak the chick will usually gobble and swallow it instinctively.

Electrolyte solution...

• 1 c. Warm Water
  • 2 tsp. Sugar
  • 1/8 tsp. Salt
  • 1/8 tsp. Baking Soda
  • Stir until dissolved and serve full strength.
  • :fl

The chick is dry even if it's down looks mucky. What day did it hatch on?

Was it ever able to stand on it's own? Where's the other chicks?

If you access to poultry nutri drench, I would direct dose it to the beak a few times over the next hour.

If not a little sugar water for some energy... I hold the chick in my hand, beak facing the bend in my forefinger. Drip a small drop just below the nostrils, the bend in my finger helps direct it. When it rolls around into the beak the chick will usually gobble and swallow it instinctively.

Electrolyte solution...

• 1 c. Warm Water
  • 2 tsp. Sugar
  • 1/8 tsp. Salt
  • 1/8 tsp. Baking Soda
  • Stir until dissolved and serve full strength.
  • :fl
Thanks for your response! I will try the electrolyte solution and see if it helps. The chick hatched out Sunday, or maybe late Saturday, (day 22 or 23) and used to be more active, standing and walking on its own, though not very coordinated. The other chicks are currently housed in a brooder and appear healthy. Originally there was another chick with it that with some assistance finally hatched day 24, but sadly it did not make it. Do you believe I should try to feed it as well?

Do you believe I should try to feed it as well?
You can put crumbles on the ground if it wants to peck (I crush them a little extra), but this will be more beneficial once you get it back up and moving around. But dehydration is deadly fast and a real possibility with hatching late and all. Fluids is the most important.

Do the method of dripping below the nostrils every 30 minutes until you see improvement. The nutri drench would help a lot, but if you happen to have liquid baby vitamins on hand, they can work on a pinch. Otherwise, just do your best! I keep them inside the bator during this treatment until they can move in and out from under heat on their own and stand up when other chicks step on it.

You can put crumbles on the ground if it wants to peck (I crush them a little extra), but this will be more beneficial once you get it back up and moving around. But dehydration is deadly fast and a real possibility with hatching late and all. Fluids is the most important.

Do the method of dripping below the nostrils every 30 minutes until you see improvement. The nutri drench would help a lot, but if you happen to have liquid baby vitamins on hand, they can work on a pinch. Otherwise, just do your best! I keep them inside the bator during this treatment until they can move in and out from under heat on their own and stand up when other chicks step on it.
I do not seem to have any baking soda at the moment. Can this temporarily be omitted from the solution?

As I was just trying to administer the electrolyte solution the chick passed away. Thanks for your help!

As I was just trying to administer the electrolyte solution the chick passed away. Thanks for your help!
Sorry for your loss. :(

It's always a learning process. Now you know the down might not look fluffy once it's dried.

Trying to help a chick drink, I have accidentally made them inhale water when dipping their beak. The drip below the nostrils has eliminated that issue for me. But if you hear crackling when the chick breaths then it has likely aspirated some fluid into it's lungs... and has always been fatal in my experience. So if I hear the crackling I already know the outcome... just for informational purposes. And yes, even without the baking soda, (which is sodium bicarbonate, an electrolyte) the other stuff would still have been beneficial. So *usually* working with what we do have is better than nothing, if needed. :)

Since you are fairly new to hatching and seem smart enough to comprehend... here is one of my favorite hatching resources..
Incubation guide

Hope your other babes are thriving! :wee

Back
Top Bottom