URGENT - Duckling breathing hard, won't eat or drink

duckman4450

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 1, 2012
I got new ducks today and one of them was very small. They were sleeping for 5 hours so I woke them up to go outside in the warm weather and have a warm swim. They did fine but now the small one looks really bad. She is breathing very hard and deeply and is sleeping through the other ducks loud peeping like it is dead silent. Her mouth was open when breathing but it is now close. She was trying to peep earlier but could barely make any noise at all. Now she is just expelling air from her nostrils. I dipped her beak in water, and then she started making a weird sound like she is full of water. I dipped her beak in the food and she practically slept right through it. When she is awake her head twitches to the side and she stumbles very bad when she walks (as seen in the video). She is now sleeping, still breathing hard, but not making noise. She is a mallard and is only 2 days old. The other duck is fine. What should I do?! I am extremely worried.
hit.gif

In the video I show you the other duck to compare them and show that she is fine

EDIT: She now moved out of the light. Her eyes are half closed and she is still breathing very hard. She is not responding to anything including voice and poking. Her head is limp and she won't respond to movement

Last edited:
Oh I'm so sorry, that's very hard.

At the risk of being insensitively pragmatic - if you have other birds, since one of these died, make certain you isolate the rest from these new ducks for at least a month. Make sureyou wash your hands and any clothes they come into contact with before you approach the rest of your flock. Don't forget your shoes if they;'re not in a bin.

Sorry if you know this, better for me to tell you something you already know than risk it if you don't.

Again, I'm sorry for the loss of your 'ling. I hope the rest are robust for you.

hugs.gif

Oh I'm so sorry, that's very hard.

At the risk of being insensitively pragmatic - if you have other birds, since one of these died, make certain you isolate the rest from these new ducks for at least a month. Make sureyou wash your hands and any clothes they come into contact with before you approach the rest of your flock. Don't forget your shoes if they;'re not in a bin.

Sorry if you know this, better for me to tell you something you already know than risk it if you don't.

Again, I'm sorry for the loss of your 'ling. I hope the rest are robust for you.

hugs.gif

Thank you very much, I did everything you said. The duck was just so small and was suffering and was excruciating to watch her pass like she did. I think what happened happened for a reason. Luckily she was 1 of just 2 ducks I had, so it was easy to get her isolated. Fortunately, she only had to sleep alone 1 night. Earlier today I got her a new friend and they are getting along great.

Here are my girls
smile.png

Next to their favorite turtle!

Last edited:
Thank you very much, I did everything you said. The duck was just so small and was suffering and was excruciating to watch her pass like she did. I think what happened happened for a reason. Luckily she was 1 of just 2 ducks I had, so it was easy to get her isolated. Fortunately, she only had to sleep alone 1 night. Earlier today I got her a new friend and they are getting along great.

Here are my girls
smile.png

Next to their favorite turtle!
How sweet, that's great you were able to find another duckling so fast... Hope they both grow into beautiful healthy ducks.

Back
Top Bottom