URGENT!!!Duckling egg cracked almost open

Cayuga momma

♡Ducks♡, enough said.
Mar 13, 2018
Western NY
I have a duckling that is about ready to hatch and one of the mom's cracked the egg (I'm guessing under her weight.) This happened a few days ago with another one and I left the egg with the moms (since is was a small hole and the white film hadn't torn) but the egg was gone the next day. Anyways so I found another one this morning, but with a larger cracked area, the film is still not torn. I can hear the duckling peeping and rocking around.
I took it because one of the moms came back in from her break and immediately started to pull shell off and eat it. So as of now the egg is in my shirt. The temperature here is 85°F with 82% humidity.

What is the temp and humidity suppose to be at when the are hatching???

This is day 29 for this little guy. I don't have an incubator, nor fo I have consistent electricity to run one. So any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200710_064649.jpg
    20200710_064649.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 4
Update:
So since I don't have an incubator, I had Beep (son named him) in my shirt all night.

This morning I put him on a heating pad in a box in my son's room since it's very humid in there. 98°F, 55% humidity.

Beep is doing good, but since he hadn't punctured the air sack I have been slowly removing the egg shell around where it was cracked and open.

I keep applying vaseline as the film starts drying.

Beep has stopped yawning and chewing so I believe the yolk has been absorbed.

He keeps slowly working himself out.

Picture attached.
20200711_144136.jpg

~I've also removed one of the mom's from the nest because she ate yet another duckling trying to hatch. The other mother is doing a great job and we have 4 out of 8 eggs pipping in the nest

Update:
So since I don't have an incubator, I had Beep (son named him) in my shirt all night.

This morning I put him on a heating pad in a box in my son's room since it's very humid in there. 98°F, 55% humidity.

Beep is doing good, but since he hadn't punctured the air sack I have been slowly removing the egg shell around where it was cracked and open.

I keep applying vaseline as the film starts drying.

Beep has stopped yawning and chewing so I believe the yolk has been absorbed.

He keeps slowly working himself out.

Picture attached.
View attachment 2238899

~I've also removed one of the mom's from the nest because she ate yet another duckling trying to hatch. The other mother is doing a great job and we have 4 out of 8 eggs pipping in the nest
Great job on helping that duckling hatch! I would put him back with his mom (or at least the one who is doing good) after he hatches if he is healthy and not injured.

Great job on helping that duckling hatch! I would put him back with his mom (or at least the one who is doing good) after he hatches if he is healthy and not injured.
Normally I would but my son wants to have one that imprints on him and to raise and since I don't want the duckling to be alone other than my son I am gonna keep the other with him. They both seemed to be doing great so far.
I can't believe I have a cannibal duck :sick

Another update:
Beep hatched. His belly button was protruded. I put neosporin on it twice before it dried up nicely.
Beep is moving around and can hold his head up for about 10 seconds at a time. He drinks (water with b vitamins) really well. He can get up and move around a little at a time.

Will update again in a few days.
Screenshot_20200712-213740_Gallery.jpg

20200713_110139.jpg

Beep is doing wonderful after a day of Vitamin B Complex in his water. He can walk and hold his head up. His belly button is completely healed. Other than taking some extra naps, he is just as active and happy as his brothers!

Back
Top Bottom