URGENT!!!!!Ducks pulling out wing feathers -bloody

Quote:
Spinach-
There is debate about whether or not spinach should be given to ducks. Spinach can reduce the amount of calcium absorbed by ducks bodies, which can cause egg binding issues in females. Even if you feed your ducks calcium, like oyster shells, eating spinach in large amounts or often, can hinder calcium absorption, and cause your ducks to have very little or no shells are their eggs. If a duck has little or no shells on their eggs, they get stuck inside, usually resulting in death. If you decide to give your ducks spinach, it should be limited to small amounts on rare occasions. (perhaps this would be better to do during the non-laying season).

FYI this is is Netries awesome list of treats (or no treats ) which is on the sticky note at the top of this forum... thought u'd be interested.....
love.gif

One of my black swedish was bleeding pretty badly for 2 days. I isolated her (in a dog crate in sight of the other ducks). Within 2 days she was healed, feathers continued to grow, and its not been a problem since. Part of the problem is if the others see any blood, they will go for it - which prolongs the injury.

Use some stiptic powder if its actively dripping and separate any of the birds that need it. Once it heals (which is very fast) you can put them back in together.

I wouldn't call it cannabalism - its just a reaction to go after something a) moving (drip drip) and b) brightly colored.

Back
Top Bottom