Urgent! I Need Advice On How To Get Two Free-range Hens and a Rooster In a Dog Kennel!

Once they have gone to sleep grab around the wings and body then place in the kennel.

Chickens are pretty catatonic once asleep so are easily grabbed as long as you use just enough light that you can see....keep it as dark as possible.

You can try the treat trail but best bet is grabbing off the roost.
This is what I would recommend, myself. The owl isn't going to come back until after they've gone to roost, asleep, which is the reason why you didn't hear them making any squawking when they disappeared.

And, oh! I'm going to be rude here. Tell your husband he's an idiot. Chickens NEED a safe, secure place to be in at night, which is when they are at their most vulnerable state. What he's told you is a pack of BS. The chickens are NOT depressed by being in a coop at night, and it is not a hassle to get them inside a coop. Chickens will naturally go in at night to that coop, every night, once they're familiar with it, which is the reason why we lock them inside it for a week to 10 days, not allowing them out, until they have made the connection to their new home when they are young. You can do it when they're older, too. There's a reason why we do these things, because we know chicken behavior.

Last edited:
Soo, are you saying your husband was depressed seeing the chickens cooped up, or the chickens were depressed? My coop is 4'x8'x7'tall and my hens and roosters have no problem going in it, every evening. I let them out every morning into a 8'x8' covered run, which opens up to a 12'x 25' open run and they seem totally content with that, by what I see. I have 2 yr olds mixed with 3 month olds and they all get in the coop, at night. If anything, at least put up some kind of roof over them, so the owl can't see them from the air, at night!
Same here! I have a 8'x10' shed that I converted into the chicken coop, with a 14'x'8', 7' tall open run attached to it. I never have any problem getting the flock into it in the evenings. They see me come out the back door, heading their way, and when I get halfway to the run, I'm speaking out to them, 'time to go to bed!' They stop what they're doing and line up at the coop door to go in... occasionally, get 1 or 2 who don't want to stop pecking at the feeder, but once I'm inside the run door, they run over to the coop chicken door and in they go. By the time I get to that door, they're all in. Sometimes, there'll be a traffic jam that will happen by the time I get there, and I have a piece of our aerial antenna that broke off in a wind storm here on the prairies of North Dakota that I use like a Shepherd's Hook, extending my reach to guide them in, keeping them from running behind me to avoid going in. But it's never a hassle to get them in, even if I have to put them in, earlier than usual, because of a bad storm coming in, or something. They know the routine when they see and hear me telling them it's time.

Oh, that is the best rooster article Shaddy is a doodle in disguise im quite certain.
Rocky will appreciate your reading that one most certainly.
@poirotgrl :)

Is there a way to screen in the carport with something sturdy? Even a part of the carport to protect them at night. This way they will come in to roost there they are used to without having to be coaxed.
That's exactly what I did. I also put lights in the windows. However, I think the lights are bothering my chickens?!?! My roo isn't crowing in the morning any more?! I don't know. But, lights are supposed to help keep owls away. To make matters worse, I have one girl who keeps getting off the ladder and roosting on her clutch of eggs on the front porch. She's actually in a great spot. It's hard as hell to even see her. I thought she was broody, but she's still laying eggs and she's not sitting on them during the day. Maybe, she's just the only smart chicken! Knowing everyone else got picked off the ladder she's thinking, "Nope, I'm just going to sleep over here, y'all."

Chickens can be trained to come when called. We use it to get them into our run at night. To start, i would recommend getting a plastic jug or such filled with treats, and shake it every time you give them treats. (Shaking works best with treats like oats or mealworms). After a while, they will come when you shake it. It’s a lot easier then trying to grab each of them every night.

Lights will not keep owls away, contrary to popular belief they aren't solely nighttime hunters especially now that most have chicks to feed.
Rocky isn't crowing because you have a broody hen and crowing draws attention.
She'Il continue laying because daytime temperatures are warm enough to keep the eggs viable without starting full incubation quite yet.
That's exactly what I did. I also put lights in the windows. However, I think the lights are bothering my chickens?!?! My roo isn't crowing in the morning any more?! I don't know. But, lights are supposed to help keep owls away. To make matters worse, I have one girl who keeps getting off the ladder and roosting on her clutch of eggs on the front porch. She's actually in a great spot. It's hard as hell to even see her. I thought she was broody, but she's still laying eggs and she's not sitting on them during the day. Maybe, she's just the only smart chicken! Knowing everyone else got picked off the ladder she's thinking, "Nope, I'm just going to sleep over here, y'all."

Lights will not keep owls away, contrary to popular belief they aren't solely nighttime hunters especially now that most have chicks to feed.
Rocky isn't crowing because you have a broody hen and crowing draws attention.
She'Il continue laying because daytime temperatures are warm enough to keep the eggs viable without starting full incubation quite yet.
So, would you say that I should turn the lights off at night?! It's been the only time the owls haven't attacked. I'm just scared to death if it's all dark underneath there I'll loose another bird and I'm down to just three, including my roo. And, thank you so much for the information! 💕

No,all im saying is don't depend on them they're not a fail safe.
Until you have more security they at least give you an advantage so by all means keep them on.:)
So, would you say that I should turn the lights off at night?! It's been the only time the owls haven't attacked. I'm just scared to death if it's all dark underneath there I'll loose another bird and I'm down to just three, including my roo. And, thank you so much for the information! 💕

Back
Top Bottom