Urgent limping chicken

Belovedturkey

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2024
My chicken has started limping she was fine this morning, but I got home and now she’s limping. I checked for bumblefoot and bloating but she doesn’t have neither the only thing I’m seeing is a red spoy between her legs but I don’t know if it’s related. She eats and drinks fine and lays she’s about a year and a half old.

Attachments

• IMG_7183.jpeg
    IMG_7183.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7184.jpeg
    IMG_7184.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I just found something else, a lump above her tail in between her feathers, what is it and is it related to her limping

Attachments

• IMG_7188.jpeg
    IMG_7188.jpeg
    468.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7189.jpeg
    IMG_7189.jpeg
    474.2 KB · Views: 1
The lump above the tail is her oil gland, uropygial gland to be precise. You will see her touch it with her beak when preening, to distribute oil on her feathers, to keep them in good shape and shed water. Perfectly normal.
The red spot on her belly looks like her keel bone has been rubbed of feathers. Does she roost normally? Does she lay in bedding instead?
Sprains and strains can happen, and can take weeks to months to resolve. Have you examined her for any signs of injury or bruising (which might look dark or greenish) or swelling? If she's getting around OK, getting to food and water, not getting bullied, then I would just keep an eye on her. If any of those things are a problem, then you can crate her in a wire crate in the run, with her own food and water, where she can still see and be seen by everybody, to let her rest the leg.

The lump above the tail is her oil gland, uropygial gland to be precise. You will see her touch it with her beak when preening, to distribute oil on her feathers, to keep them in good shape and shed water. Perfectly normal.
The red spot on her belly looks like her keel bone has been rubbed of feathers. Does she roost normally? Does she lay in bedding instead?
Sprains and strains can happen, and can take weeks to months to resolve. Have you examined her for any signs of injury or bruising (which might look dark or greenish) or swelling? If she's getting around OK, getting to food and water, not getting bullied, then I would just keep an eye on her. If any of those things are a problem, then you can crate her in a wire crate in the run, with her own food and water, where she can still see and be seen by everybody, to let her rest the leg.
ok, good to know that her oil gland is normal. I have her crated for now so she can rest but as long as she doesn’t get worse she’ll be out soon because she did still eat when she was limping around. I haven’t seen any bruising and there no swelling

Back
Top Bottom